Too much yogurt? Impacted crop? Please help!

I'm in Portland, OR. Great thanks! I'll track some down. I'll also hold off on vomiting her...thanks so much for your help!

I can't feel a big mass. I can feel things floating around in there, but nothing so massive as that sounds. I'll keep feeling her for sure! I took the grit out, gave her some bread crumbs soaked in water. She's much more active this morning. I might be imagining it, but her crop does seem slightly smaller.

I think I might proceed as if it's sour crop, since I don't feel a mass or ball like you're mentioning.

You cut it out!!?? Wowza. How on earth did you do that? How long of a time period did this all take place in?

It was a week and a half or so between when I noticed the problem and when I decided to go for it. No food was passing through her crop and it became clear that she was going to die if I did not get that thing out. She was starving and in terrible shape. I read a ton and looked at pictures people had posted of doing it. Chickens do not need anesthetic and she did not react at all throughout except to try to eat the thread at the end. The whole thing took about 15-20 minutes. She laid an egg the next day and took about a week to heal up. She has been great ever since. She has a scar but that seems to be the only lingering effect.

I can give you tons of details if you want them. Below is her when the problem started with her huge crop, second pic is minutes post surgery standing next to everything I pulled out and the last is her about 2 weeks later all better. (8 month old black copper maran)

Last edited:
Wow. I can't even imagine! So her crop was rock solid before?

No. It was pretty mushy and floppy and it wobbled about when she moved but when I massaged her I could feel a mass in there. When I pressed on it, based on the texture, I guessed that it was grass and feed in a big clump. It was hardish but not rock hard. I could move it around. That mass was surround my lots of sour liquid that was making everything mushy and smelly. By the end her skin was visibly stretched out.

I had something similar happen with a pullet. She had a very squishy crop, was very lethargic, had unusual droppings, and stopped eating or drinking. I ended up taking her to the vet. It was not sour crop but she wasn't able to move things past the crop....digestive stasis. The vet said that crop issues like that are typically a symptom of a bigger problem.The vet didn't have an exact diagnosis but gave her an injectable antibiotic (because anything given orally would have just sat in the crop with no benefit). I had to follow up with oral antibiotic pills which I crushed up and put in scrambled eggs. I also fed her some yoghurt to keep her from getting sour crop.

The antibiotics really did the trick. I really thought she was going to die she seemed so weak but she recovered well. That was several months ago and she is fit as a fiddle now.

Good luck!

HaleyKrueger You live south of me about 35 minutes. I had a pullet with an impacted crop turned sour crop. It was a long ordeal. I highly recommend getting some Apple Cider Vinegar with mothers in it. Braggs is the most common brand. I get mine from the nutrition department and Fred Meyers. Add some to her water and have her drink it. make sure its not a metal waterer or the ACV won't work. It will take a day of with holding food and only giving ACV and water but her crop should flush out and she should be fine. If you feel that it is impacted you can also offer either olive oil or mineral oil to her as well. Massaging the crop will help. I also used some fresh garlic too. I just crushed it up and soaked it in water and let her drink the water.

Nakstk: Thank you!! I put Braggs in their water now. I was following the 1 Tbs per gallon thing. Should I change the ratio?

Chicken zoo: How did you administer your vitamins? I picked some up today and don't know how much to give her...I guess I can use my kitchen scale and figure out how much she ways, but i thought you might have a suggestion.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom