Too Noisy! Can they be quieted?

My flock is always discussing something, or complaining, or just waiting for me to come outside. I love the sound, also love the ducks, the runners sound they they are laughing in the morning. love it, but like others, I live out in the country on 70 acres, so not too many complain, at least, not yet! This is my first flock, so I am learning too. I saw the egg squat last week for the first time. I was so thrilled and didn't have anyone to tell about it!

Sher 2 Bearded Collies, 2 cats, 60+ chickens, 10 guineas (now they are noisy!)
tongue.png
, 8 ducks, 1 goose, 4 steers, hmm have I forgotten anyone?
Roscoe, Tx

That is what I should have done, i was so tickled by it. I was reading about someone's hen being surprised by an egg. I went into the "nursery" where the juveniles are, the door is open so they just kind of walk about and still have a place to go for a break. There in the middle of the floor was an egg, all by itself. Was that what happened?
hmm.png
I have most of my hens just on the cusp of starting laying, it was a weird place to find it. a silkie egg, I think.

Sher

I need a cushioned seat that folds up (like they have in the big restroom stall at Wal Mart) that can be mounted to the wall in my chicken house, for me to sit on while I'm visiting with my girls and the dude. A jump seat from hubby's truck would work nicely but he'd miss it. I love hanging out with my little flock. I have a bale of straw in my smaller screened run and when I sit there they sit/stand with me and coo and chat. I love their chatter. My little roo crows a lot and the big one, being more secure I thik, doesn't crow as much. My nearest neighbor is 1/8 mile away so they're not annoying anyone.

When my girls sing their "gonna lay an egg" song they do it alone, but when they sing once it's here there's usually a whole choir of voices joining in, the little dude included. It can get awfully loud, especially if I'm in there at the time. I'd like to record an egg song solo for my cell phone ringer. My hubby used to have a rooster as his ringer and had it turned up loud so he'd be sure and hear it if he was away from his phone. After the time it rang/crowed in church he learned how to put it on silent. Not only am I making the hen house comfy for them in winter, but for me as well, since I still want to be able to go sit a spell and visit when it's cold. There are a few that let me know when they want me to sit a spell so they can check me out and snuggle.

That sounds wonderful. I love to hear mine chatter too. I have a little stool I was thinking of taking out, but i would have to hang it outside. Actually, your idea of a folding stool is great. My turkeys start when they hear me go out the door and at 5 am, one of the roos starts, but he is very quiet at first, hardly a real crow, sort of a little morning song. I don't know if I've heard an egg song that I knew what it is. I will listen though and see if I can hear it. That would make a wonderful ringer. i loved the story of your husbands ringer! lol

Sher Morrow
Roscoe, Tx

We have two very beat up lawn chairs in our run...should have been put out for the trash truck long ago but they are perfect for sitting and chatting with our girls.

Today I was watching the action to be sure no one was bullying about the nest boxes when Barbara Ann (BR) landed on my left arm, snuggled up and proceeded to wipe her bill clean on my shirt (had just finished her mash) and then settled in to chat for a spell. After she left Violet landed on the arm of the chair and had a long story to tell me. Sweet Cheeks snuggled up but just needed a napkin like Barbara Ann!

Chilling with the girls is very calming.

Boo Boos mama, I love the comments about your girls using you for a napkin. They sound so 'human' they could be children. You know the kind that comes up close to you like they want to cuddle and instead wipes their runny nose on your fur hat(fake).

Quote:
lau.gif
I tell my DH OFTEN that I don't have 22 chickens...I actually have 22 toddlers! Have some who are bullies and pick on the shy ones, have some who run the whole show and don't want to even stop to eat!

Years ago I ran a daycare in our home and also taught various ages at VBS and Sunday School; so many times now I feel like I'm right back there when I'm surrounded by the chickens all wanting my attention or when I'm trying to get into the run with their treat.

Last edited:
I'm finding that now that my chicks are getting older, they have been coming up for a pet or just to tell me something. I love it. Up till now, the only babies I had were my turkeys, and I am so glad to see my little SLWs cming up to me. I'm taking a chair out tomorrow, thanks for the ideas!

Sher
Roscoe, Tx

Back
Top Bottom