Too Noisy! Can they be quieted?

kmdsparrow

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
Just recently my 5 month old hens started making so much noise in the morning. Whenever they hear the back door open they make a racket hoping that someone will come and let them out. They also just make a lot of noise whether or not they hear the door. Is there anything that I can do? Are they hungry? I have made sure that they have food the night before. The past couple of days I give them a bunch of sunflower seeds. That seems to quiet them a bit, but then I go to work and don't know if they continue making noise. I live in an urban area and don't want to be disturbing my neighbors. Any advice?
PS I just got my first egg two days ago and my second yesterday.

What sort of hens are they?

Some hens are noisier than others. Some hens sing the 'egg song' when they lay....other hens may join in.

My Brahma girls are 'talkative'....one will hold a 'conversation' whenever she is approached or her name called...

sandie

Maybe they're telling you they want treats. The only time my girls make any noise is when I'm outside. They see me and they go nuts. They think they deserve treats everytime I go outside.

They are most likely singing the egg song. Depending on the bird it can be surprisingly loud. Sometimes the others will join in once one starts. I checked in with my nearest neighbor when mine started up and he assured me that he didn't mind at all. You probably won't notice it as much after a while.

Last edited:
I am going through the same thing! I was surprised how loud my hen was this morning. I do think it is her egg song since she just started laying. She was quiet afterwards. I also noticed that she was noisy leading up to laying the egg. She is the only one laying and now I am worrying that when all of them start making this noise it is going to drive the neighbors crazy. Although it isn't worse than the neighbors dog barking and her yelling to shut up at the dog.

Sometimes I do wish the rooster would not crow right next to me when I'm on my cell phone in the yard, but other than that, I really, really like listening to my chickens.

Now, my own dog barking at the neighbor's dog, THAT'S annoying as heck!

All my birds are Thai game and believe me, they tell the entire world when they're just about to lay an egg, and then they make another announcement as soon as they've finished laying one. Sometimes when I nip down the road to our small local shop, I can hear there will be a freshly laid egg waiting for me when I get back
lol.png
Some of the hens also tend to be noisier than others, just as some roosters crow more than others. My permanent rooster only crows a few times in the mornings, and during the day, he does the whole crow thing, but without any sound coming out. One or two of the others, which are for the pot, crow throughout the day, but I thinks that's got a lot to do with age.

As has been mentioned, you'll sop noticing the noise after a while. Also, your birds are more than likely quite quiet while you're at work. It's more than likely you that is causing them to make a noise because they will be thinking treats are on the way whenever they see or hear you.

My hens are "noisy" all day long. Personally, I like it and it's one of the things I have always wanted hens for. I love that chuckling and chatting and cackling all the time. I find it soothing. However, I live on 7 acres in the country, so my neighbors can't really hear it. It's my Buff Orpingtons who are so vocal, the Wyandottes not so much.

Sometimes my hens are also very noisy and it is not always when they are laying. Sometimes it occurs for no reason. I go out to try to hush them down but of course it doesn't work. One of my neighbors has already complained about the dog barking. She is always complaining about something!

I plan through attrition to cut down to maybe 3 instead of 6 to see if this helps. I hope I can be strong when the time comes and not run out to buy a replacement!
big_smile.png
Somehow, I don't think this will happen!

Mary

They are just being chickens. Most people new to chickens just think of the roos making a racket, but most days my hens are just as loud. I like listening to mine but then I don't have any close neighbors for them to annoy.

Back
Top Bottom