Too soon for Outside?

BeulahBreezes

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Western NY
Hello chicken raising experts!!! I'm very new at this chicken raising...lovin' it so far!
My question concerns putting my 5 week old RIR's outside in their coop.......Is 50 degree weather too cold for them? I feel so bad for them, having to stay in their brooder.....they are getting soooo big! Should I wait for some warmer weather or maybe use the heat lamp in the coop? New at this, but learning more everyday...mostly thanks to BYC!!!!
~Beulah

i put mine out at 4-weeks. they seem to do just fine as long as they have a heat lamp to huddle under to get warm if they are to cold. just make sure its low enough to keep them warm. you can even let them out for a little bit to enjoy the sun. they will let you know if they are cold. mine are 7 weeks now and i let them outside in the baby run as long as its 60 or above. they have leaned to go back in if it gets cold or dark.

Thank you....I have been putting them outside on warm days. I bring them back in and under the lamp before it gets too dark and damp outside!

I put mine out at 3 weeks old. I just put some 2 week old RIR's and 2 week old Turkeys out and they are doing great. At 5 weeks old My chickens are completely on their own. Coming out in the morning, and putting themselves away at night. They ar 6 weeks right now and soon as I get my fence done they will be free ranging on my property.
50 degree weather is just fine for them. Don't worry, let them be chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom