Too Timid of a Rooster

nymejias1

Hatching
Feb 18, 2017
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
My 6 Month old Easter Egger/Jersey Gold Rooster is so afraid of my 1 Year old hens that he's trying to squeeze himself under the coop, between the hot tub and deck, really anywhere that is totally unsafe!!! What should I do?

This is really common and natural - he's not found his mojo just yet and knows that those older girls have his number, they know it too. There really isn't anything to do other than make sure he can't get himself into trouble in the places he is squeezing/block access to places he shouldn't get into for safety and let him have time to mature and grow into the confident rooster he will eventually be -- right now he's a gawky teenage boy.

You should keep him separated if he is getting bullied. Perhaps just partition off some of the run where they can all see one another but cannot touch. At 6 months old he may not be much into puberty at all yet so he needs time to mature and find the Rooster within. The hens are not likely to treat him as their Leader until he is old enough and mature enough to be the leader.

Thank you!! I will block all the danger zones, didn't even know that he could jam himself into such a small space!!! Hopefully he'll mature soon!!! 

Give him time. He'll get there. I would not separate him if they're not injuring him. He'll learn some manners this way, so when he hits his sexual maturity he should be treating those hens with some respect. How long have you had him in with them?

Back
Top Bottom