Too Timid of a Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nymejias1, Feb 18, 2017.

1. nymejias1

nymejias1 New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Jersey Shore, New Jersey
    My 6 Month old Easter Egger/Jersey Gold Rooster is so afraid of my 1 Year old hens that he's trying to squeeze himself under the coop, between the hot tub and deck, really anywhere that is totally unsafe!!! What should I do?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This is really common and natural - he's not found his mojo just yet and knows that those older girls have his number, they know it too. There really isn't anything to do other than make sure he can't get himself into trouble in the places he is squeezing/block access to places he shouldn't get into for safety and let him have time to mature and grow into the confident rooster he will eventually be -- right now he's a gawky teenage boy.

3. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    You should keep him separated if he is getting bullied. Perhaps just partition off some of the run where they can all see one another but cannot touch. At 6 months old he may not be much into puberty at all yet so he needs time to mature and find the Rooster within. The hens are not likely to treat him as their Leader until he is old enough and mature enough to be the leader.

4. nymejias1

nymejias1 New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Jersey Shore, New Jersey
    Thank you!! I will block all the danger zones, didn't even know that he could jam himself into such a small space!!! Hopefully he'll mature soon!!!

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

Give him time. He'll get there. I would not separate him if they're not injuring him. He'll learn some manners this way, so when he hits his sexual maturity he should be treating those hens with some respect. How long have you had him in with them?

6. nymejias1

nymejias1 New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Jersey Shore, New Jersey
    Have had for just a month now! I actually just saw him mount my Jersey Giant, then ran from her got pecked and screeched blood murder!!:rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by