Too with swollen face eyes swollen shut

He can't see. How do I isolate him? If I move him how will he react since the environment will be different? How will this affect the others? What about me? I need to feed and water the chicks in the brooder. How do I keep it separate?

He can't see. How do I isolate him? If I move him how will he react since the environment will be different? How will this affect the others? What about me? I need to feed and water the chicks in the brooder. How do I keep it separate?

Try a dog crate if you can

you dont want the others catching it

You are ok, NOT transmissible to humans, most cases

You may want to medicate the others as well, or cull (depends on what approach you take)

He/others if they have it, will be carriers for life, they can pass it to others even if healed up and showing no signs.

I agree...disease that is spreading. May be pox or CRD or MG. But there are also other possibilities. Frustrating as antibiotics won't help if it is viral, it just has to run its course.

Here is a good read until someone comes on with a more definitive guess...albeit may take a culture to know for certain if pox scabs don't form.

https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/respiratory-disease-in-chickens/

LofMc

When I asked about me it was because of my two week old chicks in the house. I don't want them getting it. I don't have any antibiotics for chickens. How can I help him.

Most sick chickens take to isolation crate well as they aren't feeling great. Remove these two affected immediately to contain the exposure (although they've already exposed the flock...but you can prevent more exposure in case it is something bacterial, that moves slower in most cases).

Put the birds in a dog crate (whatever) that is in a weather protected environment will help. Place any antibiotics in that water.

It may be MG which is responsive to tetracyline. Coryza responds to Sulmet.

Fowl Pox has to run its course as it is viral, ETA as does Infectious Bronchitis. You can help boost the immune system with ACV, yogurt, warm mash with garlic. I've even helped a bout of IB by putting elderberry tincture in the water. That seems to help with viral stuff for chickens as it does people.

LofMc

Last edited:
When I asked about me it was because of my two week old chicks in the house. I don't want them getting it. I don't have any antibiotics for chickens. How can I help him.

You will have to be very careful to not track whatever this is to your chicks in the house.

Tend to your well birds first, then tend to your sick birds. Use different clothing to tend to the sick birds, and boots. Wash your hands well and change clothing before going near your other birds.

I keep a permanent isolation hutch that is by a separate back door. I hang a different coat and keep different boots to access that side of the house for isolated birds....ETA and of course only use designated isolation feeder and waterers which I disinfect after the finish of whatever occurred.

Even so, some things simply float in the wind. Viral can be hard to contain.

LofMc

Last edited:
I put him in the small chicken tractor in the back yard and put him on the four inch high roost and gave him food, and water with vet rx which until tomorrow is all I have. I will get something after work. I put my 7&8 week old chicks out in the small coop last week and two developed runny nose/ sneezing. I did not think and put them back in the main coop thinking they just got a chill. Two of them have been sneezing this week. I hope I did not infect the whole flock with something.

Which med? Do I need to drink by his eyes?
BTW the black on his comb is from my other roo that hates him.
He is about the same this morning. Unfortunately for him, I found him like this last night at close to ten, and I had to be at work be 5:15 this morning so it will be evening before I get to him. I heard a sneeze in the main coop this morning so I may be in trouble.

Might not be pox, if the scabs are from fighting. Wet pox would show thick cheesy plaques around the eyes, beak, and throat.

How weather proof is your tractor? When I get a sick bird I put them in a small dog kennel in the bathroom, where it's dark and quiet. I also run the overhead heater. I find they recover more quickly when warm and dry. See if you can open his eyes and flush with a saline wound spray. I treat respiratory issuers with an oral dose of tylan 50 straight down the throat.

Keeping your hands and clothes clean is very important.

Keep us updated. It may get worse before it gets better, especially if it's viral. Take a breath. I believe in you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom