Too with swollen face eyes swollen shut

Might not be pox, if the scabs are from fighting. Wet pox would show thick cheesy plaques around the eyes, beak, and throat.

How weather proof is your tractor? When I get a sick bird I put them in a small dog kennel in the bathroom, where it's dark and quiet. I also run the overhead heater. I find they recover more quickly when warm and dry. See if you can open his eyes and flush with a saline wound spray. I treat respiratory issuers with an oral dose of tylan 50 straight down the throat.

Keeping your hands and clothes clean is very important.

Keep us updated. It may get worse before it gets better, especially if it's viral. Take a breath. I believe in you. :hugs
thanks. I will move him to the upstairs bathroom when I get off work. I was not sure last night because my two week old chicks are in the downstairs guest bathroom. I will also need to find out who else is sneezing.
What is the dosage for an adult bird and my 8-9 week olds as I know one of them started the snotty beaks and sneezing? The adults are lav, Orpington, RIR, and barred rocks. The juniors are Sapphire and EE pullets so no bantam breeds.
I just hope with eyes swollen shut he can find the food and water I put about six inches from him.

Might not be pox, if the scabs are from fighting. Wet pox would show thick cheesy plaques around the eyes, beak, and throat.

How weather proof is your tractor? When I get a sick bird I put them in a small dog kennel in the bathroom, where it's dark and quiet. I also run the overhead heater. I find they recover more quickly when warm and dry. See if you can open his eyes and flush with a saline wound spray. I treat respiratory issuers with an oral dose of tylan 50 straight down the throat.

Keeping your hands and clothes clean is very important.

Keep us updated. It may get worse before it gets better, especially if it's viral. Take a breath. I believe in you. :hugs
thanks. I will move him to the upstairs bathroom when I get off work. I was not sure last night because my two week old chicks are in the downstairs guest bathroom. I will also need to find out who else is sneezing.
What is the dosage for an adult bird and my 8-9 week olds as I know one of them started the snotty beaks and sneezing? The adults are lav, Orpington, RIR, and barred rocks. The juniors are Sapphire and EE pullets so no bantam breeds.
I just hope with eyes swollen shut he can find the food and water I put about six inches from him.

@casportpony has the dosing info. You'll need to weigh him.

I don't dose everything that sneezes. It's better if they can get through it on their own. Did you get any new birds recently? If so, did you quarantine? If your weather damp? I know they tell us that chickens don't get colds, but mine ALWAYS get snotty when our weather turns cold and damp the first time.

I had pox this year again and about a third of my flock was snotty, sneezy, or both. Only one ended up needing my intervention (the nasty eye infection; started in her sinuses). I just can't afford to medicate everything with the sniffles.

I got the juniors recently, but I put them out at the three week mark just as we got 12+ inches of rain folliwed by a cold night. They got snotty the first night out so I messed up by putting them in a dog crate in the main coop thinking about it being so much warmer and having a floor so it is not damp, but I was not thinking about the adults getting it. Newbie mistake. I just thought they just got chilled and when I asked the advice was to let them try to get over it since it was not clear what it was.
I will likely try to pull the one other hen that I think was sneezing this morning and treat her too.
Did you have to cut under the eyes like I read in the link above?

Last edited:
Looking at the chart tetracycline treats more. I will call my vet and see if I can get some.
Thanks
Oxytetracyline and tetracycline are pretty much the same. At this point I would try the tylan. If that doesn't work, I would use Baytril (enrofloxacin) instead of oxytetracycline or tetracycline. It's banned for use in poultry, so you have to think about that..

-Kathy

Oxytetracyline and tetracycline are pretty much the same. At this point I would try the tylan. If that doesn't work, I would use Baytril (enrofloxacin) instead of oxytetracycline or tetracycline. It's banned for use in poultry, so you have to think about that..

-Kathy

Tylan injectable worked for CRD for me, and quick
As Kat says they feel better usually the next day
I used a 22 ga. Needle
Tetracycline did not even touch it, maybe masked symptoms.
Tetracycline in the water will have to be made fresh everyday, or ineffective.
I would be treating the other birds with it maybe if they responded to it and depending on how many birds you have to treat.

Back
Top Bottom