Too with swollen face eyes swollen shut

I got the juniors recently, but I put them out at the three week mark just as we got 12+ inches of rain folliwed by a cold night. They got snotty the first night out so I messed up by putting them in a dog crate in the main coop thinking about it being so much warmer and having a floor so it is not damp, but I was not thinking about the adults getting it. Newbie mistake. I just thought they just got chilled and when I asked the advice was to let them try to get over it since it was not clear what it was.
I will likely try to pull the one other hen that I think was sneezing this morning and treat her too.
Did you have to cut under the eyes like I read in the link above?

Last edited:
Looks like they have Tylan and soluble oxytetracycline. Which is better?
It's not that one is better than the other, they're just different. Tylan (tylosin) will probably work better if it's mycoplasma (CRD), but won't work if it's E.coli or pseudomonas aeruginosa. Oxytetracyline *might* work if it's E.coli, but probably won't work if it's pseudomonas aeruginosa. I guess if I had to choose, I would try giving the Tylan. Here is an antibiotic table that shows the efficacy of various drugs against some bacteria.

-Kathy

Looking at the chart tetracycline treats more. I will call my vet and see if I can get some.
Thanks
Oxytetracyline and tetracycline are pretty much the same. At this point I would try the tylan. If that doesn't work, I would use Baytril (enrofloxacin) instead of oxytetracycline or tetracycline. It's banned for use in poultry, so you have to think about that..

-Kathy

Oxytetracyline and tetracycline are pretty much the same. At this point I would try the tylan. If that doesn't work, I would use Baytril (enrofloxacin) instead of oxytetracycline or tetracycline. It's banned for use in poultry, so you have to think about that..

-Kathy

Tylan injectable worked for CRD for me, and quick
As Kat says they feel better usually the next day
I used a 22 ga. Needle
Tetracycline did not even touch it, maybe masked symptoms.
Tetracycline in the water will have to be made fresh everyday, or ineffective.
I would be treating the other birds with it maybe if they responded to it and depending on how many birds you have to treat.

Tylan injectable worked for CRD for me, and quick
As Kat says they feel better usually the next day
I used a 22 ga. Needle
Tetracycline did not even touch it, maybe masked symptoms.
Tetracycline in the water will have to be made fresh everyday, or ineffective.
I would be treating the other birds with it maybe if they responded to it and depending on how many birds you have to treat.
OK so Tylan for him and the tetra/oxytetracycline in the water for the rest. There are over twenty birds in this coop.

Back
Top Bottom