Too Young for Chick Grit?

raggiedoll88

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
Hi guys!

I have a quick question about chick grit I hope someone can answer for me...

My babies are five days old today. I let them "swim" in a tiny tub with about an inch or two of warm water for a few minutes this afternoon. I floated some dandelion heads in the water with them but didn't offer any chopped dandelion greens or grass to them. They've only had their starter crumbles for a food source so far.

They were nibbling on the dandelion heads but I don't really think they "ate" them so much as just nibbled on their petals. I was wondering though if I should offer a tiny dish of my chick grit just in case any of them actually ate part of the flowers.

I opened up the chick grit bag but when I read the back it said that it should be offered to young bird starting at two weeks of age. I didn't know if that meant I should hold off on offering it to them or if I should offer it since they may have eaten some of the petals.

I know that you have to offer grit if they're eating anything other than their commercial feed and I thought that you could offer them chopped greens, etc before they were two weeks old but I didn't want to give it to them if they really shouldn't have it at five days old.

Is it okay to give chick grit to ducklings under two weeks old? And is it necessary to give it to them if they just nibbled on flower heads or is it more for if they're eating grass, greens, veggies & other treats?

Thanks so much!
IMG_20210417_152727976_BURST001.jpg

Just like chicks, it is imperative to provide grit to ducklings. The sooner the better. I give grit to chicks as soon as they hatch. Even if they are only eating starter feed, grit helps develop the gizzard.
Thank you so much!! When I saw it said to start them at two weeks I wasn't sure if it would be bad to give it earlier. But I'll definitely give them a little dish of it now!

Well you definitely don't want to give them enough to gorge on them.
I usually start chicks on paper towels. I pour a big pile of starter feed on the towels next to the heat plate and sprinkle some chick grit around the brooder. Then at about 2 weeks, I give them quart feeder of just grit and a bigger one of feed.

I've posted this before but here goes.

"Several years ago I sold some chicks to a friend. She ended up with several cockerels. I traded a pullet for one of her cockerels. I wasn't planning on using her cockerel for breeding and I quarantined him. I'm glad I did because he was loaded up with mites.
Anyway, I butchered him along with some of my cockerels - same breed, same line from the same hatch. The only difference is that my birds get grit all the while they are growing. Hers didn't. My birds' gizzards were twice the size of her cockerel's gizzard."

Hi guys!

I have a quick question about chick grit I hope someone can answer for me...

My babies are five days old today. I let them "swim" in a tiny tub with about an inch or two of warm water for a few minutes this afternoon. I floated some dandelion heads in the water with them but didn't offer any chopped dandelion greens or grass to them. They've only had their starter crumbles for a food source so far.

They were nibbling on the dandelion heads but I don't really think they "ate" them so much as just nibbled on their petals. I was wondering though if I should offer a tiny dish of my chick grit just in case any of them actually ate part of the flowers.

I opened up the chick grit bag but when I read the back it said that it should be offered to young bird starting at two weeks of age. I didn't know if that meant I should hold off on offering it to them or if I should offer it since they may have eaten some of the petals.

I know that you have to offer grit if they're eating anything other than their commercial feed and I thought that you could offer them chopped greens, etc before they were two weeks old but I didn't want to give it to them if they really shouldn't have it at five days old.

Is it okay to give chick grit to ducklings under two weeks old? And is it necessary to give it to them if they just nibbled on flower heads or is it more for if they're eating grass, greens, veggies & other treats?

Thanks so much!View attachment 2621842
I wouldn't give them grit just yet. my grown wood duck doesn't like the bigger stuff so I just give her some sand. you can maybe find some along your driveway. sand is nice and small so it's easier for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom