Took in a rescue duck seeking illness experience

FotopFarm

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2022
2FB2BB84-886C-44E1-9E51-28A76939F202.jpeg

They said she had injured her leg, but on further inspection she has the following symptoms:
Purple feet (looks circulatory)
Balance issues
Head tremor
Needs help eating and drinking

Niacin deficiency? Botulism? Lead? Injury? Internal/neurological issues?

She is with a vet now and they are monitoring her but ‘she doesn’t seem that sick’

Anyone ever experience anything similar?

View attachment 3175909
They said she had injured her leg, but on further inspection she has the following symptoms:
Purple feet (looks circulatory)
Balance issues
Head tremor
Needs help eating and drinking

Niacin deficiency? Botulism? Lead? Injury? Internal/neurological issues?

She is with a vet now and they are monitoring her but ‘she doesn’t seem that sick’

Anyone ever experience anything similar?
It sounds like she has severe vitamin deficiencies most likely in several vitamins. I would recommend getting her on a comprehensive poultry vitamin supplement and dosing her daily for 2 weeks. I like Rooster Booster's "Poultry Cell" which is a liquid and also contains niacin. I would also put her on an 20% protein feed like Purina Flock Raiser which has the correct amount of niacin for ducks and comes in a crumble (I would wet to a mash to make it easier for her to eat and help her get more liquids). Her feathers look to be in poor shape and she will need the protein for feather regrowth along with an adequate place to swim.

It sounds like she has severe vitamin deficiencies most likely in several vitamins. I would recommend getting her on a comprehensive poultry vitamin supplement and dosing her daily for 2 weeks. I like Rooster Booster's "Poultry Cell" which is a liquid and also contains niacin. I would also put her on an 20% protein feed like Purina Flock Raiser which has the correct amount of niacin for ducks and comes in a crumble (I would wet to a mash to make it easier for her to eat and help her get more liquids). Her feathers look to be in poor shape and she will need the protein for feather regrowth along with an adequate place to swim.
Thank you so much! This is my first post. I was trying to figure out if I can post a video.

I got a video posted if you don’t mind taking a peek

It's a little hard to tell from the video, but her feet don't look too abnormal from the video as it's not uncommon for ducks to have orange legs that fade into shades of grey and black on their feet. My Snowy colored hen started off with bright orange legs and feet that faded as she matured into a purply grey hue. However, if she has any swelling in her legs which can be caused by a niacin deficiency that could potentially cause a purply hue. Based on her wobbling I would get her on niacin at the very least right away. The poultry cell I mentioned has it, but if you wanted to give her an even higher dose there is Durvet's B complex which can be found at most farm stores in either the poultry or livestock section depending on the store. The dosage is 1ml daily you can give orally even though the bottle says to inject. Based off of her feathers and wobble she definitely looks to be vitamin deficient.

Back
Top Bottom