took in malnourished dog. need help.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jennyhaschicks, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I took in a 2 year old yellow lab from a friend who got them from a lady who was not taking care of her dogs. My friend rescued 6 labs all together. I ended up taking one last night.
    I noticed after he poos drops of blood actually come right out. It is not mixed in with the poo though.
    Right off the top of my head I would say where he wasn't fed for so long and then he was it was hard for him to have a BM and strained himself. He does strain a lot despite the fact he has loose stools.
    He is a full grown lab and probably weighs only 35-40 pounds. Very, very skinny although not weak enough so he can't run and that sort of stuff.
    Does anyone have any ideas on this?

2. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I dont have any advice but want to commend you for good deed. Labs are second to none as great and loyal pets. He will thank you a million times over with his Love and appreciation. Rescues make the greatest pets, they never forget what you did for them. Good luck with him, hope someone has some advice for you on here..At least this is a little bump.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would strongly recommend that he see a vet right away. It could be something serious.

4. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    Has he been checked for worms%Pr

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:When you take him to the vet it will all get sorted out I'm sure. He probably has worms and the vet will take care of that and a general exam should reveal any other problems.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'd call a vet..get their opinion..because if an animal has been starved...they have to eat differantly for a little while...so their body can handle and adjust to all the food again...or they can become very ill....thanks SO much for helping this guy out!....[​IMG]....[​IMG]

7. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I was thinking of worms too.
    Besides being way under weight these guys look good. We still don't know the full scoop as to why they were left to starve.

8. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    If he was starving he might of eaten ANYTHING ie. bones, foil, rocks etc.
    Do not delay-he could have a perforated intestine. I had a dog which ate a rock, and that's just what happened. I hope it's not serious in your case !

9. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have a lady (who is also friends with my friend who took the dogs in) coming to maybe take him in a few minutes. I don't think I can afford the vet costs as much as I want to keep him. I am quite sad about it because I would really like to keep him.

10. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I say get him to a vet. I am thinking some sort of parasite as well. Also the vet may be able to give you a supplement to add to his food that will help him build up some healthy tissue as well as a little fat. I commend you as well, It's hard enough taking in a healthy dog but it takes a special person to rescue one who is in such bad shape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by