Took the plunge!

Lexiluke

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
I was a little upset yesterday after losing two meaties so I do as always and go for a visit to my grain store. I ended walking out with 5 poults. 2 BBB and 3 WBB. I also ordered 5 Bourbon Reds which will be in next weekend. Here's a couple picture. Now time to get some wood for another coop.

gig.gif
I'll have to remember that one.....for every two I lose, I can get ten more - of a different species!!!

Boy you really have that Fowl disease don't you and I thought I was bad off
celebrate.gif
Other than my old flock of chickens I have 8 Chics Incubated and 17 Red Bourbon Turkeys going over 10 weeks of age now,
My wife would string me up if I came home with more of anything LOL.

And I am wanting some Narraganset Turkeys next.

Last edited:
I like my turkeys better than my chickens. If they laid eggs like my Australorps I'd go mostly Turkeys. I have 4 BBB and they are a lot of fun. Just have to keep in mind, especially with the BBB's, they are food. I've decided to get a heritage trio when I'm done with the BBB. Probably going with the Bourbon Reds. I have found a unimproved Bronze that can Mate and reproduce. Only one breeder in the U.S. I'm going to call them first. If they are too pricey, I'll go with the Reds. You See I Have The Sickness As Well!

Last edited:
We had a beautiful 80 degree day so I decided to bring the poults out for some sunshine and bugs. I put my 2 1/2 week old BBB and BBW (5 total) in an outdoor pen with my 1 week old Bourban Reds (5 also). Almost immediately, I had a BBW display for everyone and this kept going for about 10 minutes before he got tired. Nice to know I have at least one male. It was hilarious. I didn't know they would display at such a young age.

I love it when my little 6wk old toms try to display. They think they are so tough! My grumpy old neighbor who only likes animals on a plate with gravy was laughing at them and later I caught him feeding them fresh clover through the fence. He was turkey talking to them. I had to run around the house to laugh or he would have died of embarassment.

Here's a picture of what 6 weeks will do for BBW and BBB. My 4 1/2 week old Bourbon Reds are pictured with them. I keep thinking that the big ones are going to swallow the bourbons whole! I can't believe the difference in size!

Yep, the BBs grow up quickly... to quickly in my opinion. You have some lovely birds! Hope they give you as much memories to remember as mine have
smile.png
I love it when youngsters strut! Even the hens will mimic the toms, though they usually don't do it for as long. Still too cute!

Back
Top Bottom