Tooshtoosh Has Brought His Chicks

So, not a dance; but:

Tooshtoosh began chasing LimpyChick. For just a second, the clutch followed Dad. But the adults were off and away: easily several hundred yards around the house-clearing. Then the chicks ran in the opposite direction. Then LimpyChick and Dad came ripping past at about a million miles an hour. Dad stopped; LC headed for the bush.
Then the chicks entered about thirty seconds of spontaneous pandemonium, apparently out of their tiny minds with the excitement of the chase. They ran in all directions into the bush until Dad panicked and ran in to try to round them up.

Watching The Whole Emu Territorial Behaviour Thang is great, KB, because they're nice and big. So it's easy to follow the action. I spoke to an ornithologist studying wrens. Their territory is small. But following the behaviour is understandly difficult.

But you can sit in the garden at my place, with a bottle of beer, and watch The Emu Show raging to and fro before you.

SE

They are such neat critters. At our pheasant club tailgate sale in September, the owners of Lake Tobias Wildlife Park had several chicks for sale. He said they hatched over 150 and had plenty of excess. I wanted a couple but don't have enough acreage to house them comfortably. You have the ideal situation, plus they feed themselves and no work for you. Enjoy them and keep sharing.

Back
Top Bottom