Tooshtoosh Has Brought His Chicks

Pics
First ever post -- 2010
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/notes-from-the-emu-homeland.357123/

I think what I am enjoying most, kb, is the 'layers of information' thing. All observations have been undertaken diligently, but also, for years, rather haphazardly.

Now -- third generation of the family/thirteenth plum season just finishing -- the steady accumulation of 'layers' allows us to often put newer bits of info into the right slot.

And just for fun: This is not Tooshtoosh. This is Eric with Alpha and Omega. The fig tree is there, but this photo is so old that the fence in the backyard is still there. They've been down to the dam for a swim.
200x200px-ZC-fc874c6b_CHICKSWIMTWO.jpeg

The chicks are now a thunderous rabble prepared to leave Dad up to about 60-80 yards behind. But they remain quick to realise when they're 'lost,' and break down in piteous cheeps.

Their toosh feathers are growing amazingly fast.

I can only apologise for the poor footage -- I was walking out to the garden. Had the tablet.

But this is still really rare footage. You can see the chicks going quite doolally. Then they blasted off around the house-clearing, covering perhaps a quarter of a mile.

SE

Observed as follows:

LimpyChick was getting a handful of wheat, while standing, from a plate in my hand. Tooshtoosh and Co. rocked up -- but the chicks arrived fully 50 yards ahead of Tooshtoosh.

The chicks screeched to a halt. LimpyChick decided to stand her ground. Then she advanced threateningly (just a few feet). Then she bigged up. Then:

one of the chicks bigged up against her.

The whole thing lasted less than ten seconds. But there's no doubt: the chick knew that Tooshtoosh wasn't behind it, that it was on its own, and it still chose to threaten a fully grown bird.

Back
Top Bottom