Toothless and the gang update.

Thought i'd update here instead of creating a new thread. Things are going well with the flock. Toothless is molting and his tail looks pitiful. I think Henrietta will start molting soon as well. Her feathers look a bit shabby and her egg production is starting to slack off. She's went from laying 7 or 8 days in a row before taking a day off to laying every other day now. Holly and Nugget are happily still raising their chicks. Nuggets 2 Bread and Clover are 7 weeks old and Holly's 6 are 4 weeks old. Those 2 clutches were supposed to be the last of the season for me. Then momma hen won me over. She'd been trying to hide nests for over a month on the hillside. I'd risk breaking my neck to find them and remove them only to start over again. She then started trying to sit on the girls eggs in the nest boxes. Both of my dog crates are occupied at the moment so she won. She is smugly sitting on 4 eggs, 3 of which are marans. The girls we kept from the spring hatch are getting close to laying soon. Nuggets 3 were named Butterball, Snowball and Oddball. Momma hens daughter is Snickers. Here are some pictures taken over the last week or two.
Toothy and his pitiful tail.
DSCN2122.JPG

Toothy and Henrietta
DSCN2123.JPG
DSCN2125.JPG

Nugget Bread and Clover
DSCN2137.JPG

Snowball
DSCN2126.JPG

Oddball
DSCN2127.JPG

Butterball or Butter
DSCN2132.JPG

Holly and her 6 babies.
DSCN2098.JPG

Drumstick
DSCN1991.JPG

Snickers
DSCN1833.JPG

Daisy
DSCN1210.JPG

Bread and the odd one in Holly's clutch are both chicks from Henrietta x Toothless. Clover is a Drumstick x Daisy daughter. Holly's 5 maran chicks are her's x Drumstick. The 3 maran eggs momma hen is sitting on will be Drumstick x Daisy babies if they hatch. From this point going forward maran's will be my main focus, the rest are just laying hens or pets. Now saying that, my daughter who is falling in love with Butter has made one request for next spring. She wants a Butter x Drummie baby. Apparently i have to try to hatch her off a hen next year that is Butter's coloring with feathered feet. Should be easy right according to her. I may be ready to choke her next spring lol. But if things go well, considering she helps with the chickens and takes care of her horse and is pulling a 4.0 average for the past 2 years I will at least attempt it next march or so.

Thought i'd update here instead of creating a new thread. Things are going well with the flock. Toothless is molting and his tail looks pitiful. I think Henrietta will start molting soon as well. Her feathers look a bit shabby and her egg production is starting to slack off. She's went from laying 7 or 8 days in a row before taking a day off to laying every other day now. Holly and Nugget are happily still raising their chicks. Nuggets 2 Bread and Clover are 7 weeks old and Holly's 6 are 4 weeks old. Those 2 clutches were supposed to be the last of the season for me. Then momma hen won me over. She'd been trying to hide nests for over a month on the hillside. I'd risk breaking my neck to find them and remove them only to start over again. She then started trying to sit on the girls eggs in the nest boxes. Both of my dog crates are occupied at the moment so she won. She is smugly sitting on 4 eggs, 3 of which are marans. The girls we kept from the spring hatch are getting close to laying soon. Nuggets 3 were named Butterball, Snowball and Oddball. Momma hens daughter is Snickers. Here are some pictures taken over the last week or two.
Toothy and his pitiful tail.
View attachment 2346397
Toothy and Henrietta
View attachment 2346400View attachment 2346402
Nugget Bread and Clover
View attachment 2346404
Snowball
View attachment 2346408
Oddball
View attachment 2346409
Butterball or Butter
View attachment 2346410
Holly and her 6 babies.
View attachment 2346414
Drumstick
View attachment 2346415
Snickers
View attachment 2346418
Daisy
View attachment 2346423
You just have a beautiful flock. Your Daisy looks just like my Lilly. 🥰

Bread and the odd one in Holly's clutch are both chicks from Henrietta x Toothless. Clover is a Drumstick x Daisy daughter. Holly's 5 maran chicks are her's x Drumstick. The 3 maran eggs momma hen is sitting on will be Drumstick x Daisy babies if they hatch. From this point going forward maran's will be my main focus, the rest are just laying hens or pets. Now saying that, my daughter who is falling in love with Butter has made one request for next spring. She wants a Butter x Drummie baby. Apparently i have to try to hatch her off a hen next year that is Butter's coloring with feathered feet. Should be easy right according to her. I may be ready to choke her next spring lol. But if things go well, considering she helps with the chickens and takes care of her horse and is pulling a 4.0 average for the past 2 years I will at least attempt it next march or so.
You are a good mum.

Back
Top Bottom