Topic of the Week - Adding New Chickens to the Flock

Hi everyone,
We had our gorgeous Black-Rock 'Zoe' pass away 2 weeks ago.
hit.gif

After a couple of sad days and discussions we decided to get another 2 girls as always found it's better to introduce in 2's at least ?
Had Easter away and our remaining 3 went as usual to 'board' with the lady we got them from so they were happy with that and never miss us !
On our return she told us she'd have 4 groups of hybrid breed P.O.L chickens (about 100 birds) ready that week so 5 days ago we went and the kids chose an 'Amber-Link' and a 'Rhode Island Red', both really beautiful birds but 'Duffy' the 'Amber-Link' does look maybe 2wks younger than 'Robyn' the 'Rhode Island' - smaller and hardly any comb showing etc.
Currently the newbies reside in an 'Ark' which we've moved so it's inside the main run, hence all sort of together, plenty of eye contact etc, and when the 3 are out in the allotment/gardens then the newbies get the freedom of the whole run......
Have tried putting the older girls with the newbies when in the main run but only one at a time (one + the 2 newbies) and with mixed results - one (Light Sussex) just occasionally pecks, one (Holydene Speckled) hunts them down and is quite nasty with hard pecks, and the one other Speckled is generally placid with them but then just grabs neck feathers on 'Robyn' and tries standing on her back !!!
The newbies don't seem terrified but are obviously then cautious for a couple of mins before shrugging it off and trying to 'fit in' again.
I know there is no sure fire perfect way of integration and pecking will occur but it's not nice for the newbies (or us watching) all the same................

Any other ideas or advice please ??
D.gif

I buy young pullets about 6 weeks old. I always buy from the same breeder. I put the young birds in the baby coop for 2-3 months. The big girls can see the young birds, but can not get at them. After that time I let them free range with the big girls. They have the choice to roost in the baby coop or with the grown ups. After a month of this, I close the door to the baby coop and they seem to have no trouble moving to the grown up coop.

Hey, guys!!
I'm sorta new to BYC and I'm wondering if I should get a few more chickens for our flock. I'm slightly worried about bullying between the hens. One of our girls is getting picked on by some of the others and I'm worried that it's getting too much.
Should we get 3 more chickens to even out bullying??

If so, what are some good breeds to mix with 2 Orpingtons and a Delaware?

Thank you for the help!!
big_smile.png

I am going to guess its the Delaware that is getting bullied.

There is no guarantee 3 more birds will stop the bullying.

You may want to get 2 or 3 more Delawares. Once they are big enough to add to the flock, they might befriend the lone one. I find in my flock that no matter how friendly the girls are, they stick to their own first. That goes for all breeds. white leghorns, australorpe, barred rock. They pair up. I have 1 americana. She is the oldest of them all but has always been a loner. We originally had picked 2 americanas but her buddy turned out to be a boy and we eventually had to let him go because he was mean :(.

Thank You so much!
This is really helpful. So a few more Delawares would do the trick? I will look into that!
Any tips on integrating more chickens?
smile.png

Thanks again!

Thank You so much!
This is really helpful. So a few more Delawares would do the trick? I will look into that!
Any tips on integrating more chickens?
smile.png

Thanks again!
Have you read this whole thread??
It's all about tips for integrating new birds
wink.png

or......

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, tho some info is outdated IMO:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

I love this place.
So, I have 5 newbies, 9 3 are about 9 weeks, two are 6 weeks, and two older girls 7 years.
I have been putting the youngsters in an enclosed area inside the run, look but can't touch method.
The first day the big girls were free ranging when I put them out and I called them over to the fence line with mealworms. The look they gave me was so indignant, they even ignored the mealworms for a minute. they ignored them after that for a day or two, I can't put them out every day due to work and weather. so last weekend I was carrying the newbies out and had not closed the door all the way when I made the second trip the old girls had made themselves at home in the nursery, the newbies were terrified at first, and I got them old girls out again (boy do they like that chick starter!)later I let them out for a bit all together and there was absolutely no fighting, the big girls were being very watchful, more in a worried way, not aggressive,so they have been out together for a few hours a day three times. I was going to do the final step last weekend, but we had such horrible weather I put it off. I am planning on doing it this weekend.

This morning I picked up two Americaunas chicks from the feed store and was told in no uncertain terms that I could not integrate until they were 5 months old or the old chickens would kill them.
I had asked what to do about the feed, would the layers be o.k eating the baby food, which is still my question.
It made me so very insecure, but reading this thread makes me feel better. the 6 week olds are very bold and want to be in the middle of everything, but I might keep them apart for a few more weeks, they will be next to the two babies I got today.
Sorry for the ramble, I really think they will be o.k. together, and I will be watching like a hawk this weekend.

The timing on this thread is perfect.

I have 12 hens almost a year old. Early June I am getting 6 more day old chicks. Ive been looking over my setup and am going to create a pen inside my coop where the new chicks will go from day one. The current hens will not have access but will always be around them and seeing them as they grow. Im hoping that this makes it easier when I finally open them up and let them integrate as they will have been "with" them for however many weeks.

I hope this plan will work. Sounds good when I talk about it!

Hey everyone,

I have a question. I have 6 pullets that are 12 weeks old today. I am in the process of integrating them with my older 2 hens and a rooster. They have been in a sectioned off portion of the run for a couple of weeks now. When ever I have let them all out together to do some free ranging, my rooster has been very aggressive. He chases them around and has pulled out feathers. No major injuries yet. My question is, what do I do? Should I take him out of the coop and integrate the hens with out him and then return him to the coop? Or should I leave him in with all the hens and let them work it all out. I'm just afraid he will seriously injure or kill one of my littles.

Back
Top Bottom