Topic of the Week - Chicken behaviour and flock dynamics - Part 1 - The pecking order

Don't know it it's the case in general but we have game birds and I feel that their pecking order is more prominent than in other farm birds.
It's not that there's too much "bullying" but there are definitely chickens that will eat first and will peck others away. And when they get in to sleep well that's another show as well, heh.
Maybe we have to add more feeders anyways...
We just had to treat one pullet with vitamins and special feed because she was undernourished.
We're relatively new to the chicken world, but I love this forum because it's helped lots to learn more and avoid mistakes or disease.

Definitely too many roosters or cockrells upset the chicken pecking order, have to get rid of many. We have a total of 37 individuals (without counting the chicks we have right now) and too many roosters/cockrels at the moment (8, two roosters and 6 cockrells; have been thinking of making a Cockrell pen and raising them for meat, but don't know if it could work because they are used to roam free and I'm worried they might become depressed).

Why do the girls like having so many sons 😩? And they are all so beautiful... Wish they could all get along and I had enough hens for all the cockrells we have right now... 😅

Lol...that's exactly what I did. I just befriended her. She does seem to enjoy being alone - but when she does try to join in, she's usually chased away from the others. I haven't noticed them pecking her, just isolating her. So...I used that to her advantage. I spend time with her and she gets extra treats. Thanks for your information - it was an encouragement to know I'm not the only one that feels that way, and it also helped me realize - instinctively - I'm probably on the right track (or at least not alone!) Lol

I have a very young flock right now because of a recent predator attack on my original older flock. My only laying hens are two 8 months old barred rocks. Since they are the oldest they were naturally on top. Now that my next group (3 Wyandottes & 1 cream legbar) are getting closer to laying age (13 weeks), I’m watching them try and work out the new order. Some nights the 4 pullets will hurry to the coop to get the best spot on the roosting ladder while the barred’s act confused and don’t want to go in. The next night the opposite happens. I’m so curious to see who ends up top boss but I have my suspicions it’s will be biggest one of my Wyandottes. I find it fascinating and I try to explain it to my family and they look at me like I’m speaking a different language lol 😂

To me, watching the flock dynamics is one of the most interesting parts of keeping chickens. They can be ruthless in their vying for top spot!

Settling down for the night was always something to see. In my old coop, there was one roosting bar that went around the interior on 2 sides. Even though the bar was all the same height, they'd squabble for whatever was the "best" spot for the night. I thought having the roosting bar the same height all way around, would solve the "who's on top" argument, but those chickens proved me wrong.
I did the same thing in my Hen House, I stripped out the roosts and put in a roosting ledge all the same height - it did cut down on bedtime drama, but there is still some drama.

I have a very fluid flock dynamics here, the big boss is my 7yr old Penelope, but she rarely ever pecks or chases anyone, they all just give her space, she has her friends and my Roo who hang with her, but everyone else gives her space.

The rest of my flock has no direct hierarchy of who’s the boss, one will chase off another and that one will chase another and that one in turn will chase off the first one - no rhyme or reason, but there is very little pecking or fighting, everyone pretty much gets along.

Ages range from 7 yrs to 14 weeks.

This is my first flock, 4 ISA Browns. They seem to be even keel, but the reddest one will challenge my smallest dog (terrier mix). In her defense, the dog started it. It’s just amusing that she recognizes him and approaches with attitude! Not so with my other two dogs. And the hens respect the “muggle born Havanese”.. he comes around and chases them out of dirt baths etc. never a dull moment!

For chickens, the pecking order is an important part of the flock dynamics and a way for the flock to establish and maintain order and look after the stronger members, while pushing out the weaker ones. Human flock owners are often included in this order, especially when there are roosters in the flock and that can throw up some interesting challenges for especially new or inexperienced chicken owners.

This week I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with handling this interesting part of chicken keeping.

View attachment 1172701
Pic by @venetianblinds

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I am brand new to chickens but have already had to integrate pullets into my new flock. It has been a nailbiter for me, but fascinating to watch.
My (fairly well) established girls are between 15 and 18 weeks old. The lower order birds have been chasing the little girls away and the little girls have been giving them a wide birth. The 2 dominant hens(I can't tell who is #1, but I think it is my leghorn) seem to be above it all, but the littles know to keep out of their way. The littles, about five weeks old, just started to roost, but if course are not allowed up with the big girls. They have a lower spot where they perch, on the opposite wall.
But this morning I found all of them outside together! Success! I am excited to watch the progress of pecking order dynamics now that the littles are allowed in the same area as the bigs. Going out to give them all some scratch and mealwoems. Cross your fingers that I don't disrupt the current tranquility.

This is a great topic. it's so interesting seeing them scramble around looking for there favorite roosting spot. They also fight for top chicken it can get brutal but I have never had any injuries from them pecking and sometimes sparring. One time my rooster had a favorite girl. She got treated the best after the rooster died that hen was picked on a lot more. After a week or 2 the pecking order was established again but that only happend one time.

I have been watching my flock and I find it really interesting that my rooster (profile picture) has complete control of his hens...when he speaks they listen and you can see them all running to do what he wants them to do. It's actually quite fascinating watching the interaction between them. I also noticed that after I toss yummy morsels out for them that if a hen comes over and starts pecking at something he has found, he will leave it and let her eat it. My rooster takes seriously his role of protector, even with the younger hens that were added well after my flock was established. When I first introduced the new younger hens I did notice that they went through a hierarchy time with both the rooster and the original hens establishing their position but now they have all settled into a nice routine. In fact my rooster has even settled down with his crowing! I am in the process of having their yard expanded by quite a lot which they are loving and I am also building them a bigger coop which should be ready today or tomorrow. Then I will close off the original small coop that I started with so they can all get acclimated with the new one...I am thinking this will really help them come together as a flock.

Back
Top Bottom