Topic of the Week - Chicken Keeping in Weather Extremes

Hi, y'all! we just weathered Ida here in New Orleans. My husband has put together a cage, using only 2X4s and chicken wire. It can be put together in minutes by one person, using screws and goes into our 2nd floor laundry room. I put heavy plastic on the floor to help with cleanup. It stores in the garage rafters. Very easy to use and keep chickens safe from wind and water.

Edited to add : it is made of flat panels of 2X4s and chicken wire. Very easy to put together and take apart, easy storage for next time.

Last edited:
Hi, y'all! we just weathered Ida here in New Orleans. My husband has put together a cage, using only 2X4s and chicken wire. It can be put together in minutes by one person, using screws and goes into our 2nd floor laundry room. I put heavy plastic on the floor to help with cleanup. It stores in the garage rafters. Very easy to use and keep chickens safe from wind and water.

Edited to add : it is made of flat panels of 2X4s and chicken wire. Very easy to put together and take apart, easy storage for next time.
thanks for sharing. how many hens did you have to put in the crate and did it all work out? did they stay in the crate in your house? thanks

It all worked out fine, including a feral hen and her chick that we kept in a cat carrier. There were about 12 chickens (all hens at the time) and we let them out as soon as possible. That was funny, DH opened the inside pen and I led them down the stairs through the dinning room, kitchen, and den, and out to the backyard. They were very happy to be outside again. The crate is designed to fit in the laundry room. (It leaves no space for you to do laundry however). :lau :confused:

It all worked out fine, including a feral hen and her chick that we kept in a cat carrier. There were about 12 chickens (all hens at the time) and we let them out as soon as possible. That was funny, DH opened the inside pen and I led them down the stairs through the dinning room, kitchen, and den, and out to the backyard. They were very happy to be outside again. The crate is designed to fit in the laundry room. (It leaves no space for you to do laundry however). :lau :confused:
Picturing the hens following you single file through the house, lol 🤣😍🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom