Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Per Holderread in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, I fed my ducklings Purina Flock Raiser until they were 4 months old, then switched to layer pellets before they started producing eggs. They also get greens and vegetable scraps, and forage all day long for tender leaves and insects--obviously in short supply right now. These are my first ducks, a 1:3 quad of Welsh Harlequins, and they are doing very well.

I raise Swedish ducks on a budget.

Ducklings begin on flock raiser (18% Dumor) until they're well-feathered to take the cold (usually about six or seven weeks), then I supplement with free-ranging (our pond is infested with snails, which the ducks swallow whole; they actually get more protein after this begins.) Slowly wean off of feed at ten-fourteen weeks until only supplementing their diet with whole, not cracked, corn at about sixteen weeks. In November, begin moving them back onto a 17% feed mix (oats (11%)/game bird starter (24%)/corn (8%)) and free-feed only this while they're penned from December through mid-March, at which point I begin to wean them back onto free-range again, though exact schedule depends on the weather.

Additional nutrients (except for oyster shells) are provided only as medication.

Laying ducks seem to do well using snail shell and oyster shell for their calcium. Due to the very fishy taste of the eggs (snails!) non-hatching eggs are fed right back to the hens as a protein supplement.

I raise Swedish ducks on a budget.

Ducklings begin on flock raiser (18% Dumor) until they're well-feathered to take the cold (usually about six or seven weeks), then I supplement with free-ranging (our pond is infested with snails, which the ducks swallow whole; they actually get more protein after this begins.) Slowly wean off of feed at ten-fourteen weeks until only supplementing their diet with whole, not cracked, corn at about sixteen weeks. In November, begin moving them back onto a 17% feed mix (oats (11%)/game bird starter (24%)/corn (8%)) and free-feed only this while they're penned from December through mid-March, at which point I begin to wean them back onto free-range again, though exact schedule depends on the weather.

Additional nutrients (except for oyster shells) are provided only as medication.

Laying ducks seem to do well using snail shell and oyster shell for their calcium. Due to the very fishy taste of the eggs (snails!) non-hatching eggs are fed right back to the hens as a protein supplement.
Wow....now that's some ducking math!!! :gigWho knew food could be so mind boggling!

Frogs are a great food too..Mine get all shivery when they find a frog..Gulp it down quickly. Earth worms and bugs..I used to weed my flower bed of Chickweed and now I let it grow to feed to my Ducks..
This spring, before my DH came home with ducklings, I bought stuff to kill chickweed because I hated it in my flower beds! I haven't even opened it....bill and Ted love chickweed! Plus it's a natural pain reliever (so I've read) I might.... no I will, toss it in the garbage!

Mine stripped my entire yard of chickweed, we used to have tons of it... it is definitely a fave and good for them...

Along with dandelions... those are extinct in our yard now too!
Wonderful. Now if I can’t get them to understand what plants they can eat and to leave my flowers alone. :lau

Do you know if they self propagate it through their droppings?

Back
Top Bottom