Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Wonderful. Now if I can’t get them to understand what plants they can eat and to leave my flowers alone. :lau

Do you know if they self propagate it through their droppings?

I have more issues with chickens tearing up the good plants and flowers than ducks... the ducks just seem interested in a few plants, like chickweed, dandelions and grass...

Nope, they don't propagate it because they eat the plants *before* they seed, so if you run low, you'll need to reseed or fence of sections and only let them into areas in shifts...

I have more issues with chickens tearing up the good plants and flowers than ducks... the ducks just seem interested in a few plants, like chickweed, dandelions and grass...

Nope, they don't propagate it because they eat the plants *before* they seed, so if you run low, you'll need to reseed or fence of sections and only let them into areas in shifts...
That makes complete sense. And heavens no I won’t be reseeding that vile stuff. I’ve scratched my hands up enough. Looks like I will be buying a lot less round up this year! (Of course I wouldn’t spray it where they have access to.)

FIRST OFF HAPPY NEW YEAR
I feed mine layer feed. They also have an herb garden all around their coop in summer. In winter they like oatmeal or grits for breakfast. I toss in whatever fruit I have. They free range all year, except right now they are in the house due to the weather. What ever veggies I make for lunch and dinner they get the leftovers so I don't use salt or things when I cook. They get Molasses in a bowl of water with oregano. We put minnows in their pool for an extra treat. It's fun to watch them.

I'm very interested in the main feed for ducks. My vet said to put them on duck specific feed and take them off of purina. Vet said layer type for her and maintenance for him. The problem is....finding this type of feed!! Does anyone use duck specific feed? Where do you find it? Cost? What is the name brand you use?

I'm very interested in the main feed for ducks. My vet said to put them on duck specific feed and take them off of purina. Vet said layer type for her and maintenance for him. The problem is....finding this type of feed!! Does anyone use duck specific feed? Where do you find it? Cost? What is the name brand you use?

Only thing I know of in the US is Mazuri, and Mazuri is expensive. To the tune of $40 per bag. I would ask the vet if that's what they had in mind or if they could recommend something else.

Funnily enough, Mazuri feeds are actually made by Purina.

Only thing I know of in the US is Mazuri, and Mazuri is expensive. To the tune of $40 per bag. I would ask the vet if that's what they had in mind or if they could recommend something else.

Funnily enough, Mazuri feeds are actually made by Purina.
Thank you! I'll call my vet tomorrow and ask. Wow that's crazy that Mazuri is made by purina!!! SMH

@onaharley do you have either of these available to you? I’ve used both and my ducks love it. They are both around $16 for a 50# bag for me.
3EF360D7-8FA5-458C-92A2-DC7521EB455C.png
FB30EC72-5321-460F-97CC-13E6B187DD8E.png

Feeding two different feeds sounds like a lot of extra work. Was there a reason the vet said to switch? I feed my mixed flock (ducks and chickens, males and females, young and adult) Purina Flock Raiser specifically so I don’t have to worry about who eats what. Oyster shell on the side for anyone who’s laying. Any reason you can’t do that?

Back
Top Bottom