Topic of the Week - Let's talk about euthanasia

I cut the artery in the neck. It is a hard for me to kill anything but I hate to see an animal suffer. Have a sharp knife, while the chicken is hanging upside down make a few gentle swipes across the neck with the back of the knife and then quickly and firmly turn the sharp side over and slice through to the artery. I hold the head until it has bled out. Only when the bird is dying does it begin to convulse, pumping out the last of the blood. This is how I dispatch a bird for meat too.

I count myself VERY blessed to have a "Chicken Vet". While an hour away, he is wonderful, honest and compassionate. One girl I had that developed peritonitis he drained the fluid twice and tried two different kinds of antibiotics. He exhausted every effort and told me in such a kind manner that nothing else could be done. I brought her home and let her spend a bit more time with her sisters until it was apparent that she was, once again, having difficulties. I took her and our dear "Dr. J" ever so kindly put her down. Same with another hen I had who developed a reproductive tumor which eventually impeded her lungs. I feel it all depends on their quality of life. My girls are all 5+ years old...so these things are going to happen. I tell my little girl they've "Gone to lay eggs for Jesus...". <3

Last edited:
I tried using gas to kill our tom turkey last year, after doing much research and believing I knew what I needed to do in order to make his passing as peaceful as possible. It was the most traumatic thing I have ever been part of, and I will never use that method ever again. He took a very long time to die, and was clearly suffering. Several times during the process I was getting ready to just chop his head off, but, then he would appear to be dead so I waited just to see him start convulsing or thrashing around and then appar to die again. It was horrible.

Cervical dislocation or throat slitting is the preferred method for us now.

For those who are wondering, here is the 2013 AMVA guide to euthanasia.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Documents/euthanasia.pdf

In case you're wondering, their assessment is;
"Physical methods of euthanasia include captive bolt, gunshot, cervical dislocation, decapitation, electrocution, focused beam microwave irradiation, thoracic compression, exsanguination, maceration, stunning, and pithing. When properly used by skilled personnel with well-maintained equipment, physical methods of AVMA Guidelines for the Euthanasia of Animals: 2013 Edition 35 euthanasia may result in less fear and anxiety and be more rapid, painless, humane, and practical than other forms of euthanasia...

Some consider physical methods of euthanasia aesthetically displeasing. There are occasions, however, when what is perceived as aesthetic and what is most humane are in conflict. Despite their aesthetic challenges, in certain situations physical methods may be the most appropriate choice for euthanasia and rapid relief of pain and suffering."

The knife and in a cone so that the chicken is held firmly ,I do this for the butchering process also ,, you have to seperate yourself mentally these are gods creatures and you take care of them through good and bad and when the outcome is suffering I have no issues putting them down ,I hunt for food and I trap during the winter so its part of the grand scheme ,,we are caretakers .

I shoot mine point blank behind the head with a .22 pellet gun. Have done this just once to a very ill hen who was suffering - and I use this approach to kill Roos for slaughter.

The only time I've killed a chicken: When I was a kid, about 12, my friend's parents had free range chickens. One had gotten puncture wounds from a dog getting a hold of it. The chicken had a bad case of maggots and was not going to make it. My friend, her brother, and I put it down. It may not have been the most humane way, but it was quick. We got a pitchfork, and positioned the tines around it's neck and chopped it off with a small axe. I will never forget it as long as I live, because I went home and bawled like a baby afterwards. It didn't even struggle or try to get away, that's how sick it was. My mom said we did the right thing, but I felt like a dirty murderer for months. I have not had to do the deed for any of mine, yet.

Last edited:
Good Morning,
I'm rather new to the chicken business. This is the first time I have had chickens in more than 40 years.
First off, I have 1 Rhode Island Red Rooster (RIR), 10 RIR Hens, 1 Cinnamon Queen, 1 Leghorn, 1 Black Star, 1 Bard Rock & 1 Jersey Giant. Why the mix? Well, I started off with 10 RIR's that I got from a local man. They came vetted and they were free and about 16 weeks. The man also had Jersey Giants and I just fell in love with them. It was the first time I had ever seen one. So he gave me one, her name is Tillie. I had always had RIR;s & Leghorn's. Then my daughter came and brought me 6 more chickens. The Cin Queen, Leghorn, Black Star, Bard Rock, Buckeye & a RIR. Three were very small and my son in law said they will lay eggs in Sept. The vet said they were so small because they had not been feed right as chicks. They are growing, but they are still to small to put in with my other ones. No eggs yet. My RIR's didn't start laying till 30 weeks and that was just what my old ones did. The Buckeye passed away. I should have stuck to my guns when my daughter said, "Oh Mom, you can put all of them in with yours," and I said NO, they are to small. She said "They were in with all of ours," they have about 500. So after arguing with her I agreed. Well, my big RIR;s, killed her. When I came down to check on them she was laying on her side, I picked her up and she just died in my arms, yes I cried. For her and for my stupidity for not sticking to my guns. I immediately took the other two out of there. They were so scared that they had hidden so far under the egg boxes I had to crawl under and get them. I'm 70 and that was a trip & a half. Then the Reds stared to peck on the Black Star so out she came till she is bigger and better. They never touched the Cin Queen or the Leghorn and she is really small for a Leghorn. I'm hoping that I can put them all back together before winter.
On putting them to sleep. I saw an article on TV and they should a large Funnel hanging and they just dropped the chickens in one by one and then came back and cut off there heads. When you turn a chicken upside down it goes to sleep. I don't know how I will handle this when the time comes. My husband did it way back when and I didn't watch.
An old Farmer told me once not to name them. I only named two, Tillie and Buddy, he is the only one of my Reds that lets me pet him. He seems to like it. He meets me at the gate when I come down to collect eggs and just follow me around.
I would like to breed Tillie & my Bard Rock this spring with my Rooster. I don't know how to do this. Years back we just collected a few eggs and hatched them on the dinning room table in an incubator. Kids loved it. So I could use some help in that department. Yes I have a separate place to do this.
Have a great day and thank you for taking the time ? to read my very long post. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Marilynn

We base the decision to euthanize like many of the rest of you on the welfare of the bird, the flock, or its quality of life. We did euthanize some birds we got that were ill. Despite quarantine our flock got it but thankfully recovered and have had no lingering symptoms or any reoccurances. We used an old truck exhaust for the ones we got that were severely ill as they were suffering. We created a box out of a plastic stock tank and attached it to the exhaust via a hose. It was very quick and painless and they just went to sleep peacefully. Of course no matter how an animal dies they will convulse as the blood drains from their muscles. We put them down in the way we did as we didn't want to risk further exposing our flock to their illness by spilling their blood.

We are growing out cockerals for the freezer and they will be put down as quickly as possible by slitting their throats. Depending on how that goes we may in the future use this way for suffering birds.

We have had to euthanize a number of chicks as well usually those that weren't right from hatch that were suffering. We have used the vinegar and baking soda method after trial runs without the chicks to judge how much of each makes a good fizz so that it's quick and the chick just lays down to sleep and doesn't wake up. I feel this is a more humane method for small chicks that cutting off their heads with scissors. It has worked well for us and is less traumatic I feel than hiding the chick in paper towels so you don't have to see it. Using this method has worked in as little as 20-30 seconds although we always leave them in the container for a minute or two to be sure they're completely gone before taking them out.

I think 'more humane' often really means 'easier on the one doing the killing'.

Agrees with a few here who have mentioned that euthanasia is much different than slaughter for butchering, an importation distinction.
I think folks who grow chickens for food, both eggs and meat, have a totally different view point on the death of animals,
many of those folks(including myself) have brought in the slaughter aspect here and maybe this thread is not the place for that.
My apologies for my part in that.

Back
Top Bottom