Topic of the Week - Nest boxes

Pics
Try putting a ceramic egg or golf ball in the other 2. It may or may not work. Sometimes a hen will choose one nest over another because they feel more secure or its darker or secluded, even harder to get to. Think like a hen, you're going to do a very private thing, and you may be able to figure it out. GC
Mine bounce around using different nest... but they all lay in the same nest no matter where itis..lol

We had to put carpet in our nest boxes. The hens stand up to drop eggs and because they would move all nesting materials out, the eggs would break. Enter carpet, problem fixed and they love it!

Nest boxes, those carefully designed coop essentials where we're all hoping our laying ladies would deposit the rent. (Note: hoping) This week I would like to hear you all's thoughts on all things "nest boxes"... Specifically:

- What do you use for nest boxes?
- What bedding materials do you use in your nest boxes?
- Maintaining your nest boxes. (Cleaning, pest control, etc)
- Managing broody hen(s) in the nest box.
- How do you make your nest boxes attractive for the hens? (I.e. encourage them to use the boxes, instead of dropping their eggs all over the yard)
- How do you discourage your hens from sleeping in the nest boxes?

Anything you'd like to add?
We

my hens thought it as great to scratch up into a ball.... it didn't seperate like straw it wadded up... I put another on the bottom w/shredded news paper on top. it has lasted longer.. your hens may be different than mine and have better results
The only thing my chickens have ever used are the excelsior nesting pads. They scratch them up a bit making a small pit in the middle and higher all around. My girls are pretty fastidious, I saw a couple feathers in one nest box one day and the next they were gone. For two nesting boxes I've only used about 16 pads in a year.

I'm thinking of using a black feed-type tub (I had one for a grandson to play with water in) that I got at TSC. It's heavy and stable, maybe 7" high, 24" long by 15" wide oval. Use the plastic feed sack to line the bottom--the whole works can be hosed/washed if needed and they all seem to lay in one nest anyway, then use hay or shavings for the bedding. Every nest I've used so far they've scratched out the material, so my new coop I'll wait and see how this works.

This topic has been very informative. I was planning on 2 12x12 external nest boxes. Am now thinking simply one large box 24x12, the interior painted fairly dark with a 12" wide opening into it making it rather dark and cozy and easy to block off until the chicks are old enough. The interior of the coop itself will be white exterior paint so easily hosed out a time or 2 a year. The nest box will be the last portion built. I can always divide it later if it's not working well.

I'm not even going to build next boxes in this coop. I'll add some crates or whatever and call it good. I think hens adjust to what is available when they are young and develop a preference for that. They like the familiar as they get older. :confused: And since time and cost are an issue for me right now, I'll use what I have on hand that is fit to the task. The hens won't know the difference.

Nest boxes, those carefully designed coop essentials where we're all hoping our laying ladies would deposit the rent. (Note: hoping) This week I would like to hear you all's thoughts on all things "nest boxes"... Specifically:

- What do you use for nest boxes?
- What bedding materials do you use in your nest boxes?
- Maintaining your nest boxes. (Cleaning, pest control, etc)
- Managing broody hen(s) in the nest box.
- How do you make your nest boxes attractive for the hens? (I.e. encourage them to use the boxes, instead of dropping their eggs all over the yard)
- How do you discourage your hens from sleeping in the nest boxes?

Anything you'd like to add?
I have 6 hens and this is my first year with this great new endeavor. I tried the 5-gallon nesting buckets but, as it turns out, my hens grew too big to fit into them. They could get into the bucket initially, but they couldn't turn around! Ended up buying the plastic nesting boxes from the local farm store. :barnie

I've used straw, pine shavings, and shredded paper for bedding. My hens don't seem to have a preference and since they free-range, I've found a couple eggs under bushes next to my house. Don't know which hens have done this and it's been rare.

I left a single golf ball in each of the nest boxes and I don't think it would make a difference if I removed them at this point. Other than the rare egg find under a bush, the girls know where they like to lay and they're pretty consistent.

My hens always roost on an elevated bar inside their pen. Never had an issue with them wanting to roost in a nest box.

I have 6 hens and this is my first year with this great new endeavor. I tried the 5-gallon nesting buckets but, as it turns out, my hens grew too big to fit into them. They could get into the bucket initially, but they couldn't turn around! Ended up buying the plastic nesting boxes from the local farm store. :barnie

I've used straw, pine shavings, and shredded paper for bedding. My hens don't seem to have a preference and since they free-range, I've found a couple eggs under bushes next to my house. Don't know which hens have done this and it's been rare.

I left a single golf ball in each of the nest boxes and I don't think it would make a difference if I removed them at this point. Other than the rare egg find under a bush, the girls know where they like to lay and they're pretty consistent.

My hens always roost on an elevated bar inside their pen. Never had an issue with them wanting to roost in a nest box.

My girls will roost on the edges of the nesting box, so I have to clean them out EVERY morning. I'm not sure how to get them to roost on the 2x4s we have in their coop that they used to always be on. Any thoughts or ideas that might help?

Back
Top Bottom