Topic of the Week - "Off-grid" Feeding - Homemade feeds, etc.

They will not just eat other chickens naturally.

The term "bloodlust" comes from chickens... who will peck to death and eat anything that has lots of blood on it.

EDIT: This is why it is recommended to remove bullying hens from the flock. It is also why if a hen is showing bare spots or bleeding it is also recommended that it be removed from the flock until healed.

Last edited:
I used a scrap piece of fencing (about 12"x18") on the outside of the fence for the run. It is wired to the fence along the bottom so it hinges up and down. When I pull tall weeds, I lay them on the scrap fence and hinge it up so the weeds are flat against the run fence. The chickens will peck at the leaves and seed heads, at the end to the day all that is left is the stems and those go on the compost pile.

I do this too, My fencing chicken wire was actually a little too tall so at the bottom I folded it up and I stuff weeds and so forth in it and the chickens love it. When they are out of the chicken run they still have access to the weeds and stuff.

In fact I have had to put my silverbeet (a type of chard) into it as they will otherwise strip the plant bare in no time at all.

Due to lack of availability of feed at times, or out of choice, some chicken keepers feed their flocks on alternatives to regular, formulated poultry feeds. Be it homemade feed mixes, or whatever is on hand at the time, this week I would like to hear you all's thoughts and practices on feeding the flock "off-grid". Specifically:

- Suggestions for short-term alternatives to regular feed
- Homemade feed recipes, flock blocks, etc
- Calculating and providing adequate nutrition in homemade feeds
- Feeding through different ages, feeding laying hens, etc.

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I am working on a sustainable grow list “recipe” (with proportions) so that backyard homesteaders in temperate climates (or greenhouse gardeners) might be able to provide complete nutrition for laying hens and skip the feed store. That will no doubt include mealworms as a primary source of protein. I will post my recipe here when I have finished.

I free range my flock of ~45 to 50 all summer. I still go through about 60--70lbs lbs of feed per week.

Good topic, sumi! I don't know anything about proper nutrition for mixes, but I have used cracked corn in place of feed when I didn't have a single other thing to give them and I wasn't going into town due to being sick. They survived, lol.

Here's a link to a PDF with a link about feeding non-processed food.
http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/images/ep_2-8.pdf
FYI: sweet potatoes can replace corn pound for pound (dry matter) though corn has a tiny bit more protein. Usually folks aren’t feeding corn for its protein of course. Sweet potatoes are used to “sweeten” meat in hogs near slaughtering time. It could no doubt be used that way for broilers or even cattle for that matter.

I have considered coldframes so I could grow all kinds of small things for year round consumption. just havent got to it yet
We built one earlier this spring for growing crops for us to eat and we love it. We were eating salads in April. Delish. Very easy to construct. We used James Prigionis plans. He has videos on youtube.

first of all i have to say what an awesome thread this. i also took this as a SHTF scenario and this is my first full year with chickens. i will say i do rely too much on my commercial feed. but i have beeen lucky and have found a place that custom blended mine. now reading thru this really has my wheels turning of what i can be doing better for the next years to come. currently i give kitchen scraps, leftovers, fodder, BOSS, mealworms and of course the commercial feed.
now reading this thread.... i think i will be growing a garden soley for chickens needs from now on! storing winter vegetables(squash & pumpkins) growing sunflowers and drying the heads, drying more herbs and freezing more fresh veggies for the dead winter days. long term ill have to keep brainstorming since growing grains is not an option for us.
now if i could only figure a way for our four dogs. always having a back up plan is always a great idea. you just never know....last year we went 6 days with out power. me being the stock piler that i am, but after just moving, learned real quick that nothing is as important as water. especially when you have so many animals. that was the one thing i never thought of. that has since changed and i will hopefully never be in that struggle again. keep these comments coming! i love this post :)
Our dog gets sweet potato/quinoa mix some days and raw chicken with bones other days (1-2x a week). We raise our own broilers so all the necks, gizzards, hearts, lungs extra meat goes to her. She loves it and it seems to be helping her itchies.

I'm most intrigued by the chicken compost systems that many use to feed there birds for very little to nothing. I'm currently keeping my chickens at my folks place, so I don't have that opportunity, but if things got bad I might be able to change there mind.
Excellent examples of this are Karl Hammer, Geoff Lawton, EdibleAcres and Permapasture Farm. The chickens get the majority of their protein from the decomposers in the compost piles, and carbs and other nutrients from food scraps.

Back
Top Bottom