Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks

This is my brooder. I use an old watering trough like they do in the feedstock. We keep mesh over the top and dog run fencing over top of that so they chicks don't fly out and rats or mice don't get in. We have had a mouse try to kill a day old chick before.

We either keep the brooder in the chicken coop or in the barn.

Right now we have 2 brooders going and 1 is in the coop with the biefehelders that will eventually go in the coop with the big birds. The other is in the barn and those chicks will go in their own new coop.

Attachments

• 20230308_110310.jpg
    20230308_110310.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 4

This is my brooder. But it is based on theoretical knowledge only
hmm.png
. I have it in our below ground basement where the temperature is constantly 55 degrees and with the lamp I can get it up to 95 degrees inside the brooder. Under the pine shavings is a folded tarp so when I need to "change the diapers" I can just fold it up and take it to our compost heap. We are preparing for 8 chicks and this is our first time having chickens. We are very excited!
yippiechickie.gif

Am I missing anything?!?
We have this same set up! It’s working very well for our 9 chicks.

My chicks were hatched on March 17th. I got them from a local hatchery as I was not keen on mail ordering. This is their brooder setup. They have a brinsy brooder a gravity fed nipple waterer and a regular feeder. I've also put a couple of tree branches in there for amusement. You can also see that there is a jar lid full of mash.

They seem happy and healthy. I'm worried about myself though. I think I've become a broody hen. I sit and watch them for hours observing their behavior and their goofy antics. There is sometimes some sunshine in the brooder and they love plopping down and acting dead in the sunlight. 😆

Their approximate rhythm is: eat, nap, stretch, scratch, repeat.

IMG_20230321_135532.jpg

I'm new here! Hello everyone. So we went and got some straight run chicks and I've had them for 2 days. I feel like we already have a dominant rooster. He is larger than the rest of the birds and he will peck at you if you try to put your hands in the cage. He also will give the chicks I put back in the cage a little peck once they are returned. Does any bird do this or is this most likely a roo?
I'm fairly new to this myself but I've learned that any Chick or rooster or hen that's being aggressive it's best to pick them up and hold them hold them close to you hold them by their legs and make sure they can't turn around and Peck at you the more you handle them the more docile they'll become

View attachment 2987154

With Spring only a few weeks away many chicken owners are thinking about hatching or buying chicks to raise during the warmer months. I would like to hear your thoughts and tips on buying and raising chicks. Specifically:

- What preparations do you make before hatching/buying chicks?
- Tell me about your brooder(s); Also, do you brood indoors or outdoors?
- How to raise healthy, strong chicks. (Supplements/Feed/Heat management, etc)

Anything you'd like to add?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
My pullets arrived today!
Here's my brooding tub.

Attachments

• IMG20230322155810.jpg
    IMG20230322155810.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi All- we have 9 week chicks in the brooder that have to go outside. It is about 65 in their room and they have been without supplemental heat for almost 2 weeks. They are fully feathered and are big!!! We have a good size coop with plenty of ventilation. Night time temps 29-38 and daytime temps 37-52. I have a producer pride brooder heater I can put in there. Can we make the move???

My chicks were hatched on March 17th. I got them from a local hatchery as I was not keen on mail ordering. This is their brooder setup. They have a brinsy brooder a gravity fed nipple waterer and a regular feeder. I've also put a couple of tree branches in there for amusement. You can also see that there is a jar lid full of mash.

They seem happy and healthy. I'm worried about myself though. I think I've become a broody hen. I sit and watch them for hours observing their behavior and their goofy antics. There is sometimes some sunshine in the brooder and they love plopping down and acting dead in the sunlight. 😆

Their approximate rhythm is: eat, nap, stretch, scratch, repeat.

View attachment 3439044
Mine are at that stage too. 🤣

The first time I ever saw this happen I thought all my mom's chicks had died. I was a novice and didn't raise chickens at the time and imagine my surprise when I touched one with the intention of picking it up to check when it and it's brood mates all woke up after a peep from the one I touched. One dozen angry looks 🤣.

Hi All- we have 9 week chicks in the brooder that have to go outside. It is about 65 in their room and they have been without supplemental heat for almost 2 weeks. They are fully feathered and are big!!! We have a good size coop with plenty of ventilation. Night time temps 29-38 and daytime temps 37-52. I have a producer pride brooder heater I can put in there. Can we make the move???
I'd say they are indeed ready! You can use supplemental heat at night if they need it. If they don't need the heat, they will move away. Enjoy your babies! :)

Back
Top Bottom