Topic of the Week - What do/can you do with unwanted roosters?

Pics
If you live in the country or out in the wilderness, could you just relocate them and set them free? Of course predators would eventually get them but that would at least give them a fighting chance. Or is that unlawful?
They would most likely only live a month at the most, and during that time would be starving and possibly diseased. In some places I do believe it's illegal to dump chickens, but sadly not all places have laws for it. IMO dumping chickens is just as bad as dumping pet cats or dogs.

My chickens are raised to provide food for my husband & I or the occasional family member/friend in need. A lot of how I deal with a rooster depends on the temperament. If I have an ornery rooster it will go immediately into the freezer. I won't have an ornery rooster on the property. Older roosters (or hens) that will be to tough to eat will go to our local wildlife rehab center to feed their eagles, hawks, etc. Any amazingly beautiful roosters with the perfect personality I try to re-home or keep in my flock.

OMG! I have saved 4 bantam chicks then another six mixed bantams.... with the second six I wound up having 4 hens and two roosters. One rooster is special........ by all the talk on this topic I guess he would not be here today thriving and still trying to do his job. The other is a true rooster and is very attentive to his girls a true protector. I did have to separate them into their own condos one has two hens and the other four hens so far so good.I always take full responsibility for my babies .....not leave them out for nature to eat them.

On average 50% of all eggs hatched produce male chicks and many of us either cannot, or prefer not to keep cockerels in our flocks. Which brings us to the question of this thread's topic: what can/do you do you with those unwanted roosters?...

I would think that with all the talk about heritage breeds of chickens and the back to nature aspect of free range chicken farming that everyone would take a page from their grand parents or great grand parents and embrace Spring Chickens once more. But maybe I am being to optimistic. For those of you who may not know a spring chicken is generally a male chicken of the current year whose sisters should be coming into lay at any time and this bad boy is traditionally sold as a New York Dressed Chicken. This doesn't mean that these cockerels are wearing a Derek Jeter #2 Jersey but rather a spring chicken is dressed something like this.

LL

This was the way that all chicken was marketed up until 1943 when Illinois became the first state allowed to sell pre-eviscerated chickens. before that you typically got everything but the feathers and blood when you bought a chicken at retail. This is called New York Dressed chicken.

I would think that with all the talk about heritage breeds of chickens and the back to nature aspect of free range chicken farming that everyone would take a page from their grand parents or great grand parents and embrace Spring Chickens once more. But maybe I am being to optimistic. For those of you who may not know a spring chicken is generally a male chicken of the current year whose sisters should be coming into lay at any time and this bad boy is traditionally sold as a New York Dressed Chicken. This doesn't mean that these cockerels are wearing a Derek Jeter #2 Jersey but rather a spring chicken is dressed something like this.

LL

This was the way that all chicken was marketed up until 1943 when Illinois became the first state allowed to sell pre-eviscerated chickens. before that you typically got everything but the feathers and blood when you bought a chicken at retail. This is called New York Dressed chicken.
That's very interesting. I've got no problem butchering my own so I could deal with the head and feet on but I don't think I would want to buy one guts and all. I would be afraid of food borne illness considering how long it would take the insides to cool to a safe temperature.

Help! Sure I posted but can't find the post! Durrr!

Some of my young pullets have stopped laying and turned into cockerels, plumage wise. Sure they are not full cockerel, just extra feathers, longer tail and confused!

Don't need to keep hangers on that don't lay! Any suggestions of ways of reversing this change please? :)

I think they would do well in the freezer, always been happier with out excess cockerels. My solution to too many cockerels is get them in the freezer by July! Life is for living and enjoying your chickens not sorting problems with extra cockerels!

Back
Top Bottom