Topic of the Week - What do/can you do with unwanted roosters?

Pics

On average 50% of all eggs hatched produce male chicks and many of us either cannot or prefer not to keep cockerels in our flocks. Which brings us to the question of this thread's topic: what can/do you do with those unwanted roosters?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Actually, I need some advice on this... for context, I only got into chickens because of my bleeding rescuer heart (no regrets) and my family cannot eat meat (legit allergies).

After successfully picking out 23 hens in a row, my finally ran out and I now have 3 roos. (And of course they had to be the long awaited breeds😭)

The boys are super friendly, with one of them being a literal cuddle-bug that follows me around the house like a dog. We live in a suburban neighborhood and likely wouldn't be able to keep all 3... nor is anyone in our area looking to take roosters (already did Craigslist) and all the rescues we've called won't take them do to the overflow from last Easter.

Any tips/suggestions?😅

In these comments, I feel like a little bit of a black sheep because I have never hatched my own chicks all of mine are ordered online or bought from my local farm store. And I try REALLY hard to find all the roosters I end up with homes even if it means they get eaten but that's not my business. I have a soft heart and I hold my chickens close to me like my own children so be it by disease one dies or by a predator I always weep my eyes out. so for me killing a rooster with my own hands would make me feel like the worst chicken owner ever. At times I envy those who don't see chickens so closely it they can eat a rooster and feel consent or like my boss just chops the head off and throws it in a pit with the rest of her dead chickens and roos. I'm not vegan and eat chicken on the regular but it's not personal with the chicken you get from the store that's why I prefer to give away the ones I have handraised if at all possible. I hope someone can relate and I'm not alone in my softness for these creatures.

In these comments, I feel like a little bit of a black sheep because I have never hatched my own chicks all of mine are ordered online or bought from my local farm store. And I try REALLY hard to find all the roosters I end up with homes even if it means they get eaten but that's not my business. I have a soft heart and I hold my chickens close to me like my own children so be it by disease one dies or by a predator I always weep my eyes out. so for me killing a rooster with my own hands would make me feel like the worst chicken owner ever. At times I envy those who don't see chickens so closely it they can eat a rooster and feel consent or like my boss just chops the head off and throws it in a pit with the rest of her dead chickens and roos. I'm not vegan and eat chicken on the regular but it's not personal with the chicken you get from the store that's why I prefer to give away the ones I have handraised if at all possible. I hope someone can relate and I'm not alone in my softness for these creatures.
I've never hatched my own either - and I feel like you do. In fact, I don't eat chicken at all. I keep chickens for the eggs and companionship. We haven't lost any yet - but I went into a complete tizzy with the first bout of coccidiosis. I spend most of my day with the chickens. I grew up on a farm as a kid. I was never comfortable eating the chickens we raised. Recently, we had 8 roosters from 10 chicks we bought. We had to rehome them. We did find a home for all 8.

That's kinda how I feel. I often say that until I have children if my own, my animals are my babies - even the chickens. They each have names♡

So I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this idea I had? So I'd like to breed poultry and although my plans have been changed multiple times I think I finally made a good plan to build a breeding setup. So I plan on hatching about 20-30 eggs and I'm assuming that I will get a 50%-60% rooster hatch rate. That means I will have about 15-20 roosters. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to take the nicest looking roosters and sell them with two hens as a breeding trio, however that would mean they'll be inbreeding and although that's not horrible it's not good for me as the breeder and I wouldn't feel right about it. My other idea is that I sell the roosters however that normally takes forever and that's left me with my other option. I could breed meat type breeds like Austrolorps, Lakenvelders, Cornish cross, and a "breed" of my own design. Now although I don't exactly like killing my extra roosters, my dad will kill them quick and without thinking twice about it. And he said if he gets free and tasty dinner out of it he will do it anytime I ask. He also said because I now can't be trusted cooking chicken after a...fire incident my dad said he will prepare and cook the roosters! We also have a huge freezer for all the extra roosters. I also do plan on selling laying pullets for about 25-45 depending on breed, rarity, quality, and closest to the breed standard. That way I'm not making 5-8 pet chick.

Last edited:
I normally keep a few roosters that I hatch every year. I usually sell the extras, but I have recently started putting them out in the barn where they free range. I have 3 that free range in the barn right now and they are doing really good.

There is feed store near me that takes roosters and has people coming in every day to get some. I do a spring hatch for my local fair I’ll sell all extra roos there and any that I don’t sell will go to the feed store. With that plan I do have to live with the roos for a few months. But hopefully their daddy should keep them in check.

I feel the same way towards all animals. I havent yet been able to butcher a chicken myself. Ive given them away, knowing more than likely they end up butchered. But i get so attached its hard to let go.

I personally have never butchered and eaten my own roosters, but I'm gonna hatch a lot next year, so that might change. I know a lady who has a rescue for unwanted roosters and drakes, and she keeps them all in this big male flock. She doesn't eat them, she will either keep them or find them good homes.
I have two coops. So my rule is one rooster per coop. Unless I have like, 20 hens in one coop. Then I could have more roosters.

Back
Top Bottom