Topic of the Week - When eggs go wrong

Pics
This is a weird egg I got today from the coop! Can anyone explain what is happening with this egg?? None of our hens are “young or old” about 1-2yr old EEs are probably closer to 1.5yr but this eggs is a weird find. The cracks don’t go all the way through the egg is still solid and stable they are more like “grooves” in the egg.
We are in central AR where we’re hitting those record breaking highs right now. All my girls free range and only in the coop at night or when they go in to lay.

Thoughts??

IMG_3997.jpeg

Got this today. Our girl, Head Hen, Black Australorp, 25weeks old, laid this funky duo today. The soft shell one was under her roost bar, and the half opened one in her nest box. Figure it's from stress due to a heat wave we have going on this week. She has laid two shell-less eggs since she started laying. These two look like they were too close together in the making, not sure. She's eating, drinking, acting her usual self.

Attachments

• PXL_20230823_151602957.jpg
    PXL_20230823_151602957.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230823_151615011.jpg
    PXL_20230823_151615011.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 1
I found this one and the shell was paper thin. It broke when I barely grabbed it then the hens started to eat it which felt horribly wrong to me! Aagh!
That happened to me! Last night I was picking up eggs in the dark. I had grabbed one and it felt chocky, then it broke and I dropped it, startled. I turned the light on, and one of the hens came over and started eating it! Today I also got a no shell egg, picked it up, and the hen looked at it and tried to go after it. I just dropped it and she and a few others went to town like I had just fed them blueberries.

It’s so weird because there’s no comparison for us humans. But they don’t mind, so I don’t see a problem. Plus it’s good for them, since it has a lot of good nutrients. It’s why you will hear of people feeding injured chickens scrambled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom