Topic of the Week - When eggs go wrong

Pics
What breed layed your round egg? Was it a pullet or an older hen? I used to have a Cuckoo Marans that layed dark brown and sometimes speckled round eggs. A Marans owner told me it was not unusual for Marans to lay round eggs. It was sometimes hard to tell which end was which!
M5u sexlinks lay dark round eggs. I've gotten this fart egg before. Thought it was a rock at first. It even had a little dot yolk inside 😂 this was from one of my sexlinks.

Attachments

• 20201118_103940.jpg
    20201118_103940.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 14
No photo, but I got an egg with a soft spot and another time, 2 fairy eggs in 1 day! :lol:
I have a broody hen who is barred rock that layed eggs larger than store bought eggs and now they are the size of a ping pong ball and my other hen eggs never gotten larger they stayed the size of ping pong ball and she was a golden comet

Have had double yolks , membrane only no shell, tiny 3/4 inch egg with only white ....... and one that was nasty like rotten already inside . ( luckily I always crack eggs into a small bowl before adding to whatever I’m cooking .
All in all 95+ % have been edible 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Have had double yolks , membrane only no shell, tiny 3/4 inch egg with only white ....... and one that was nasty like rotten already inside . ( luckily I always crack eggs into a small bowl before adding to whatever I’m cooking .
All in all 95+ % have been edible 🎉🎉🎉🎉
that is good that they are edible I have a broody hen who is siting on 5 eggs she has not really been laying but she laid one after she went broody

You are always going to get eggs that just aren't right. In fact most aren't what you find in the grocery stores. I worked for about a year at a chicken/egg farm. They had over a million chickens. Perhaps half, if that many, made it to the cartons to be sold to consumers. The rest were rejected due to shape, blem's, cracks, color, size or many other reasons. These would go to a line where they would be cracked and the egg would go into 5 gl. bucket to be frozen. These frozen shelled eggs would go to the military and other bulk egg using industries that don't need whole in the shell eggs. So, if you are getting 50% or more good eggs, your doing quite well. Right now on my little homestead I get about 24 eggs a day. I always have 2 or 3 soft shelled, thin shelled, cracked shelled or no shell eggs a day. Perhaps half would be what I would call a "Perfect Egg", no blem's. I'm not picky, so I'm runnin' about 90% edible eggs. I eat about 2 to 3 dozen a month personally, the rest I donate to the local food bank. They're not too picky either.
God Bless, Rick
View attachment 1138241
How odd I have 24 also and i have never gotten a soft shelled or cracked or anything you mentioned. I get about 20-24 eggs a day. Twice i got a very golf ball size egg teeny little ones. Ive heard of soft shelled but never daily. I do add oyster shell to feed daily.

We got this bad boy today from our 9 month old Buff Brahma. It's compared to our Golden Comet eggs in the picture. Weight pictured, and measures over 3 inches! Ouch!

Attachments

• IMG_20210531_145250.jpg
    IMG_20210531_145250.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210531_145057.jpg
    IMG_20210531_145057.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210531_143447.jpg
    IMG_20210531_143447.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom