topsfield, ma auction sunday oct18

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by chickn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Shay took the 3 that were more golden in color. I still have the 4 that are cream. Too bad they're all boys.

-Cindy

2. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Songster

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The FFA auction in Topsfield always is a blast, and usually lots of great stuff. Though some years there were more bunnies than people... [​IMG]

Then there was the year that someone brought silkies and there were GIGUNDO bidding wars over them by well-dressed McMansion farmerettes with hubbies in tow (all very nice people, btw, just inexperienced and overly influenced by Martha Stewart). Someone paid 50 bucks for a silky. The next year, EVERYONE brought silkies hoping to rake in the moola, but the McMansionettes didn't show and there were a lot of fluffy chickens going for $5. [​IMG]

And one year, a jenny (young female turkey) escaped and flew all over, ending up across the street at the Co-op. The poor FFA kids had to run with a net, but finally nabbed her almost at the end of the auction.

It's never boring.

But you can't go wrong with any poultry event, so the Milford swap is probably going to be fun too.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:LOL very cute!! sounds like fun. see you there

4. cashela

cashela Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    South Eastern NH
    Maybe I will go and see if I can get myself a new turkey

5. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Songster

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:One of the best years I ever had at the auction was when at least 12 turkeys were auctioned. I got a gorgeous Bourbon Red jake. He enjoyed 5 years of Thanksgivings without being the "guest of honor." (He eventually passed away on his own, and I still miss him.)

I hope there are turkeys this year. And Guineas... I've been thinking about trying some.

Some years there are LOTS of bunnies and bantam roos (and standard roos with LOUD crows, so you know why they're being gotten rid of). By the end of the afternoon, rabbits are going for a dollar each, and the roos too. Tony DiPaolo (a pheasant/poultry breeder in Beverly, Mass. who is also an NAS member) is always the auctioneer, and he tries to "sell" the roos as "Fricasee Chickens." [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. Tony K T

Tony K T Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:One of the best years I ever had at the auction was when at least 12 turkeys were auctioned. I got a gorgeous Bourbon Red jake. He enjoyed 5 years of Thanksgivings without being the "guest of honor." (He eventually passed away on his own, and I still miss him.)

I hope there are turkeys this year. And Guineas... I've been thinking about trying some.

Some years there are LOTS of bunnies and bantam roos (and standard roos with LOUD crows, so you know why they're being gotten rid of). By the end of the afternoon, rabbits are going for a dollar each, and the roos too. Tony DiPaolo (a pheasant/poultry breeder in Beverly, Mass. who is also an NAS member) is always the auctioneer, and he tries to "sell" the roos as "Fricasee Chickens." [​IMG]

I think you mean catchatori.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Songster

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts

I think you mean catchatori.
    In N.H.,Tony.

You're right! He does say "Cacciatore Rooster"! I must be getting old and forgetful. [​IMG]

8. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    so i think i read somewhere
    on the box should be written what is in the box
    do you recommend that each individual rabbit be in a box
    or sell them in 2's ?

9. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Songster

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I wrote it on the "other" Topsfield thread or in a PM... [​IMG]

Basically, sellers should just label the box clearly describing what's inside so the auctioneer (Tony) can tell the bidders what's being auctioned.

So, if you have a bunny, label its box with 1. breed (or "Mixed breed" if a "mutt") 2. sex 3. age (approximately). If there is more than one animal/bird in the box, provide the info for both.

If you intend to sell your animals/birds as pairs, then box them together; otherwise, they should be boxed individually. For rabbits, it's often easier to auction them individually, as not everyone wants to buy TWO bunnies for their kid. [​IMG]

For chickens, ducks and other fowl, you can sell entire flocks if you want! I've seen wire carrying-crates containing a dozen barred rock pullets, and also big cardboard boxes full of week-old peeps. If anyone here does that, just make sure you mark the crate accordingly (for example: 12 White Leghorn straight run chicks; 2 weeks old").

Here I'll also mention Caveat Emptor (Let the Buyer Beware), as some sellers don't know what sex their birds are (or pretend they don't [​IMG] ). Last year I brought home what the box said were 2 pairs of black-tailed white Japanese bantams (2 cockerels, 2 pullets). Because they were young, you couldn't tell yet. Turned out to be 4 roos. [​IMG]

That's one of the drawbacks of auctions: the bidding happens fast and you often don't have a chance to closely look at what you're getting until it's too late. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  10. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    oh, good to know thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: