topsfield, ma auction sunday oct18

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by chickn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. vnsseed

vnsseed Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Be careful with this. It all depends on how they setup their auctions. If you are "selling" them the bird and then they are auctioning it off, then you are a "vendor" by law, which means if they request a w-9 from you and you don't send it in, and they get audited for some reason, you could get audited and you better be able to prove how much you didn't make. [​IMG]
    However if they are auctioning the bird for you, and the laws may be different in Mass. for auctions, the auctioneer must be licensed by the state as an auctioneer. Then I don't think they need a W-9. My guess is that they have someone who is an accountant involved with the FFA and they are going by the letter of the law.

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Songster

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I died Lol.
    seriously though got home started getting the grandbrat ready and it was like something hit me like a ton of bricks. couldnt catch a breath, couldnt stop the dizzys, said better not try flying down the highway feeling like this so went to bed and never woke up again till 630 ish.
    I hate being this sick, I dont have time , too much to do too many people to aggravate, too much planning to get done.
    oh ya and maybe find time for a little house cleaning lol.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  3. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Songster

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for this information. The FFA chapter is auctioning the birds -for- us. We are not selling them anything. Basically, the "sellers" bring their items to the FFA, and the FFA auctions them and gives the seller 75% of the proceeds, and keeps 25% for their chapter fund.

So if what you're saying is correct, a W-9 for sellers is not necessary. We're not vendors. I pretty much doubt that any of the people bringing in items for auction even have a tax ID or vendor certificate, since they're not retailers selling chickens.

I don't think that Tony DiPaolo is a licensed auctioneer, for that matter. This is a charity event, and he is a poultry breeder who is asked to be the auctioneer every year. I don't think it falls into the same category as a commercial auction. Essex Aggie is a state school and the FFA is a non-profit organization.

Some people donate their items and the FFA kids keep 100% of the proceeds, while others get some money from the auctioning of their items, but the kids keep the 25%. But even in that case, I think this still isn't considered a commercial auction. But I plan to look into it.

Quote:Be careful with this. It all depends on how they setup their auctions. If you are "selling" them the bird and then they are auctioning it off, then you are a "vendor" by law, which means if they request a w-9 from you and you don't send it in, and they get audited for some reason, you could get audited and you better be able to prove how much you didn't make. [​IMG]
    However if they are auctioning the bird for you, and the laws may be different in Mass. for auctions, the auctioneer must be licensed by the state as an auctioneer. Then I don't think they need a W-9. My guess is that they have someone who is an accountant involved with the FFA and they are going by the letter of the law.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: