Torn beak and injured foot...Somewhat graphic with pic

This evening we put her in with the other chickens, but still in the dog create. I'm not sure if she will ever be able to fully integrate in with the flock again with being blind on the one side and her beak and foot still on the mend. She did need the company of her flock though because she was getting lonely inside.
Good idea. Keeping her in the dog crate for a couple of weeks until she is fully recovered in sight of the other birds is a good way if introducing her back into the flock. Chickens will peck at anything red, so make sure the wounds have sealed over. If possible, after a couple of weeks, free range her with your other chickens. Watch them and monitor for the other birds behaviour towards her. If there is no trouble, she should be ready to be released back into the flock. If there is a bad reaction to her, she may need some more time in sight of your other chickens. A cluttered run is epically important with reintroduction of birds, as well as helping the individuals on bottom of the pecking order. Essentially, it is breaking the birds line of sight through a certain area by providing objects to run around, over and under. Hope all goes well.

Good idea. Keeping her in the dog crate for a couple of weeks until she is fully recovered in sight of the other birds is a good way if introducing her back into the flock. Chickens will peck at anything red, so make sure the wounds have sealed over. If possible, after a couple of weeks, free range her with your other chickens. Watch them and monitor for the other birds behaviour towards her. If there is no trouble, she should be ready to be released back into the flock. If there is a bad reaction to her, she may need some more time in sight of your other chickens. A cluttered run is epically important with reintroduction of birds, as well as helping the individuals on bottom of the pecking order. Essentially, it is breaking the birds line of sight through a certain area by providing objects to run around, over and under. Hope all goes well.
Thank you! I am looking into how I create her own area because I am not confident in putting her fully back in with the flock. She is pretty much healed with no red, but she was always the bottom of the pecking order. She is super sweet.

Thank you! I am looking into how I create her own area because I am not confident in putting her fully back in with the flock. She is pretty much healed with no red, but she was always the bottom of the pecking order. She is super sweet.
I did this with a chick I had who lost an eye. I've made a coop for her and then specifically sought out another special needs chick to be her buddy. I got soooo many responses when I posted that on FB.

Here is our girl enjoying the outside. As a whole she has recouped, but I definitely will not be putting her fully back in with the flock. The flock attacked and killed another one of our weaker chickens last week.

Attachments

• IMG_5883.JPG
    IMG_5883.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Thanks. I have some not nice girls in my coop and I don't know how to fix that other than butcher them, which I won't do.
I understand completely. I have a not-so-nice rooster. I can't get rid if him. And, thankfully, he's teeny tiny and can't really hurt anyone. He just kind of flaps against my ankles when he's grumpy.

Back
Top Bottom