Yorkshire Coop

Kindness costs nothing ..
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK 🇬🇧
My Coop
My Coop
Disastrous hibernation due to below freezing temps :( George came to me in the summer so first time hibernation for me with him. He’s 52 years old so well used to hibernation in the UK. He’s never lived in doors apparently. Temps got to near freezing in my insulated garage so I had no other option but to bring him in the house after only 6 weeks of hibernating. He was double boxed with insulation but still it was too cold. Did the waking up process with him slowly over many hours, room temp, then Luke warm bath then he had the option to go under the lamp if he wished. He’s not fussed about the lamp at all! He has started eating yesterday after 5 days but as soon as he’s finished his food he’s straight back to burrowing! Before he started eating he just burrowed unless I put him under the lamp and only then did he stay under it for a few minutes. He’s getting 2 baths per day but I have to get him up for these too. Will he snap out of this and stay awake more of his own accord? Is there anything else I can be doing to help him?

And yes before anyone says I know a fridge would be best for hibernation but due to no funds for purchase of one and the astronomical price of electricity that is not an option for me I’m afraid so over wintering is my only option and my lamp is far more economical to run.

Thank in advance for any assistance.

Sorry for such a late reply, life and groundhog day getting in the way again. So overall George is doing just fine he’s still living in the house with some days more quiet than others but he’s eating well, pooping well and generally being a sex pest with shoes, trainers and boots when he’s on the loose :eek: poor guy is desperate after 52 years!

@azurbanclucker George is a Hermann tortoise. Previous homes he’s been generally left to fend for himself out in the garden so being at mine is totally different but he’s adapting well and should soon be back outside when the weather picks up. My other tort is a 5 year old marginated who I’ve had for 4 years but she (named Malcolm as I didn’t know sex until recently) has always lived in the house in a table and only going out in the run on very good weather days. They have totally different needs! This is the day he came home with me.

BF553F71-B66D-42B9-BC22-FCC14635E40D.jpeg

Sounds like he's doing OK, just keep an eye on him for stress, He got 6 weeks in before you brought him in, It may be short but it's not dangerously short. 10-12 weeks at his age is ideal, no longer than 12. As long as he's eating and drinking and moving his bowels at this point and otherwise seems normal. I wouldn't stress too much about it. Make sure you get him in for a vet check too as it warms up a bit more and he's fully active.

Back
Top Bottom