Total bummmerrr, total egg bummer, Egg free life =(

hoosierhen

Songster
12 Years
Sep 26, 2007
Indiana
Several weeks ago my daughter who has had bad allergies for years finally got tested to see what exactly she was allergic to. They tried the pain free scratch test but it didn't work too well, and they had to draw blood. My poor daughter was stuck 5 times before they got any, but she got a lolly pop and laughed. We got test results back today and she's allergic to everything!! EGGSSSS She is allergic to eggs, wheat, milk, and corn. She was pretty upset yet laughed in shock. So she can't eat our fresh eggs or even feed our chickens anymore
sad.png
She says, now I can no longer enjoy life lol. No more, candy, cake or anything fun for a child when it comes to eating. Looks like it's a life of water and oat meal.
smile.png

How terrible. I am so sorry for your daughter. I'm sure it will take some time for the shock to wear off. That's alot of life-changing allergies. Poor thing!

Sorry to hear about that. That will cause a major rethink in diet...no wheat or milk or corn or eggs.....Yikes!!!!

Looks like a fruit, veggie, and meat diet at your house. South Beach for children, I guess.
sad.png

I wish I had some suggestion of kid friendly foods for you....but I'm kinda drawing a blank.

For sweets, maybe something like fruit cooked in syrup, with a crumb topping made with sugar, spices, oatmeal, nuts and some kind of fat. Rice pudding, maybe cooked with coconut. Hard candies have none of the off limits foods, homemade peanut brittle is wonderful.

Homemade granola:
4-5 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ (omit in your case)
1 cup sunflower seed
1 cup flaked cocnut
1 cup nuts (any kind)
1 cup raisns or chopped dates
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup honey
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dried apricots or apples, chopped

Mix first seven items together. Heat honey and vegatable oil to bubbling. Pour the honey mixure over the oat mixture and stir thoroughtly. Grease a shallow ban and spread the mixture in the pan. Bake at 350 for a 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Stir while cooling to prevent lumping. Add dried apples or apricots after baking. Makes about 8 quarts.

This stuff is great, and I think if you added more honey, and baked it at a lower temperature you could easily make something like a granola bar for snaking. This has infinite variations with different fruits and nuts. My favorite is almonds and apricots.

Hope all goes well with you and your daughter. Maybe after the elemination diet, you can start adding foods back in to see what she can tolerate.

Last edited:
we work around several food allergies in our home too. Try things made with rice or soy. There is a brand of foods called Tofutti and we grew up on their chocolate ice cream. It is wonderful! They also have dairy free cream cheese and all sorts of things in that brand. We get it at kroger and the local health food store. Amy's organics have alot of wheat free foods that are wonderful too.
If you find non dairy chocolate chips you could make a delicious candy like treat by melting them with some peanut butter and stirring in rice chex. Then dump the cereal mixture in a plastic gallon ziploc and add some powder sugar. Shake till coated well. This stuff is delicious!
good luck!

I have had several friends that have had this allergy to eggs and wheat products, and they were actually cured through accupuncture treatments.

You need to find someone that practices in the old original ways, but the can treat for most known allergies. I had a few, not major ones, and while undergoing pain treatments for my back, he treated me for those as well, and it did work.

Please consider it. It sure beats a life of being eggless. It doesn't hurt at all either. You can't even feel the needles. It's worth considering!

Good luck,

CT

Wow, that stinks. Is there a possibility she'll grow out of it? My allergies are not nearly as bad now as they were when I was a child.

Don't be too discouraged, there may be hope for her
smile.png
. Kids often grow out of allergies, even serious ones. I don't know if the blood test shows the level of allergy like the scratch test does, but if you can, find out what level she is allergic to everything. When my youngest had the scratch test done, he was allergic to 17 of the 20 things they tested for. It showed he was allergic to milk, eggs, and peanuts, but he still eats all of those. His level of response to those things was small enough that the allergist felt he could still eat them safely. He is now 6 and either his allergies are much better, or we have finally found a medicine regime that works. He hasn't been hospitalized or had pneumonia (which he used to get every 9mos as a side effect of his allergies), in about 1.5 years!

I hope that you are able to find a diet that works for your daughter and that she outgrows her allergies.

barnie.gif
My 3 yo DS is allergic to eggs too... and pork, beef and dairy! We did the blood draw thing as well. It was a relief to find out EXACTLY what he was allergic to. Never would have guessed pork & beef!!

I feel for ya, but at least you know!!

Back
Top Bottom