Total disaster!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by batchhatchin, Feb 5, 2015.

1. batchhatchin

batchhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    I ordered for Mcmurray about a month ago. I got chicks in the mail on Monday. Sunday was 75 degrees and sunny Monday was 34. Over half of the chicks died before the 48 hrs was up so I called and they are sending replacements. I'm not sure any are going to make it I had another 5 die today. I ordered 40 total. They sent a few extras which are nice strong chicks. The chicks I ordered are about half the size of the chicks I'm hatching from my birds of the same breeds here at home anyone tell me the answer to that one?? I'm happy with their customer service. They are very helpful when you call. I just can't figure out why those chicks are so small.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It shows how a home raised flock is superior on just about all counts to anything out of a production operation. Sorry for your losses.

1 person likes this.
  3. batchhatchin

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    Lost 4 more last night. I expected to get half or so to at least laying age but with this dent I don't know what I'll end up with. The poor little guys have been handled the same as my home hatched chicks ever since I opened the box and if I lose 1 out of 20 that I hatch I'm mad. Just don't understand maybe it's the feed to the brood stock I'm not sure.

4. lizzylizard03

lizzylizard03 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    I'm sorry for your losses and I would ask for a refund and get chicks from cackle hatchery

Cackle hatchery is where we get most of our chicks yes u will loose a few but that's life its a great hatchery never had problems

5. batchhatchin

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    I've never heard anything bad about Mcmurray and they have what I needed I just don't like the quality or viability of the birds I received. Not sure I'll do business with them again. I do have to hand it to em on the fact they replace the causalities for the first 48 hrs. That tells me they are making way more than the standard 35% on retail.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Maybe it's young pullets they are hatching from? If you are hatching the same breed yet yours are larger, that's all I can think of. Small eggs, small chicks. Could explain your losses. Many "non starters" or "starve outs" are believed to be the result of small yolks. Most chicks can go without nourishment the first three days, but, that's likely not the case with chicks coming from small yolks.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/103/nonstarter-and-starveouts

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Maybe something for you here.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
    I also use Goat Nutri-Dench with the usage and dosage instructions for the poultry formula. Tho their formulas are species specific, they also meet the scientific standards for a universal formula. So, in a pinch you can use another formula, just with the poultry usage and dosage instructions. Last year, I put the Goat Nutri-Drench in their water for the 1st month to get them off to a strong start. No sick birds, no losses. I like to stay close to the bird's size, so I only use the Pet Nutri-Drops or the Poultry Nutri-Drench or the Goat Nutri-Drench for my birds. For my collies, I use the Pet, Goat, or Beef formulas with good success.
    Best Regards,
    Karen

8. bhaugh

bhaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    I wouldn't hold out for Cackle to make things right. I just had 4 chicks die and they told me they dont refund nor replace.

9. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    If we surveyed EVERY hatchery, we're going to find happy and unhappy people...In this thread alone 2 happy(I'm in this group) 1 unhappy with McMurray...Mass production operations will have some problems and that's expected and should be expected from the customers as it's the nature of the beast, problems will happen...What separates a hatchery is how they handle the problems they all will have...Is there a difference in how Cackle and McMurray handled/would have handled this problem?...If so, let's see that, if cackle has a better policy, I will consider them if I have a problem with McMurray that they don't handle to my satisfaction, I won't leave a place I'm happy with because someone else's experience differs from mine...

We're chick lovers too, when we lose even one it's heartbreaking, losing 3 or 4 makes me homicidal! Sorry to hear of your problem and I hope it works out for you...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  10. bhaugh

bhaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    I completely agree with you. I totally expected losses. There is just no way to ensure safe passage for chicks. But I expected more from their customer service dept. I sent them an email of my displeasure. We'll see if they respond.

Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by