Total Lose

Scottankarens

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
Scipio, IN
We recently lost everything. We had just finished construction on the coop 2 weeks ago. We had 60 birds. 30 were 10 weeks, and the rest were 2 week old chicks.

We suspect a heat lamp fell over. I'm pretty saddened by the loss, and all the work that was put into it. Not sure if we will rebuild again. Yet i have peace because stuff is stuff but Jesus is Lord! :)

Please be extra careful with the heat lamps!

Oh my gosh - I am SO sorry. This is one of the reasons I will never have a heat lamp in my coop, it is just too much of a risk for me.
I see you aren't far up the road from me, if there is anything I can do to help as you rebuild (if you decide to) and restart your flock let me know.

Oh, so sorry for all of your loss. That is so devastating. By posting this thread you are helping many others by showing the dangers of heat lamps. Extension cords can also be dangerous. There are many good people on this forum who probably could help you to replace some of what you have lost. Don't give up on having chickens because of this. It's a blessing that your family was not hurt, and I hope that you can start over with a new flock when you are able to rebuild.

Thank you both for your kind words. After talking with my wife, I believe we will rebuild, just not immediately. Our insurance adjuster is coming out Monday afternoon to check things out. Unfortunately livestock was not on my home owners policy, although I have no idea how they would value 60 hens.

Back
Top Bottom