Total Mutt: a manly pullet or a girly cockerel?

WYOwhy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Wyoming
I got some baby chicks from a friend, and after the first couple of months it became obvious that two of the three were cockerels. So we swapped chickens and this time I got an adult hen - silkie - and a sibling to my cockerels. She (I think) has the manliest tail feathers and lighter colors to her barring. I think her daddy was the barred rock roo and her mommy is my silkie hen, but there is no guarantee of that. She doesn't crow. I don't expect her to lay until spring. Any guesses: Is Europa a he or a she? These pictures are from a few weeks ago, not much has changed in her appearance. I think she is about three months old in these shots:

The comb:
PB060036.jpg

No a great shot, but here you can see the wild tail feathers and her overall approximate size:
PB060026.jpg

A full body shot, are those legs considered thick?
PB060008.jpg

Again, not a great shot, but see the lighter color in the barring:
PB060013.jpg

One more face shot. Next to Io (a sister - who has no comb?)
PB060030.jpg

I vote pullet.
I think.
Probably.

Here's my thinking........
No comb. At three months I'd expcet some size and color to the comb.
Legs are thin, and look like they have the dark wash down the front, that's a girl thing. Although, I thought the dark color went away as they age..?
I know the barring is lighter, but I'm not sure if you can use that criteria if they're not full BR.
I don't see any hackle/saddle feathers.
Just looks like a girl.

If she does have some silkie in her--love the head, btw---I don't know how that might affect the things I've mentioned. I don't even try to guess silkies!
Looking forward to other responses!

No expert here, but I was thinking similarly, and will guess pullet. I think she's young enough to still have some black wash on her legs, and they look thin to me. Looks like the overall shape of a pullet to me as well; stance, tail angle and such.

Amazing head shape.

Maybe someone will pop in who actually has experience with crossing these.

I would guess that she is a pullet, but I have a question for you. Has that silky laid any eggs? She? looks a little suspicious to me. Anyone else?

I'm glad you all are thinking pullet on Europa. I was too, but her tail is so manly. Could the silkie in her cause the tail to look like that? Are those streamers? Sometimes the fluff on her head stands upright and almost looks part Polish. I love my mutts, the oddness of them makes them that much more beautiful to me. Her brother, Helen-now-Troy, looked very similar when they were chicks but now has an obvious red comb and a Cockadoodledoo to prove his gender - I was sorry to trade him out, he was so handsome.

Quote:
Yup, even in the cold dark winter days, that silkie -Leda- is giving me three eggs per week. She is the suspected mother of the other two in my flock and is quite happy to no longer have to deal with the old barred rock roo.

Back
Top Bottom