totally new here! thoughts on coop design in predator land?

Yeah that was a concern for me, especially since my coop is elevated slightly to keep it off the moisture-laden soil, but definitely not enough for me to access the underside in case birds got down under there.

My solution was to skirt the coop with hardware cloth, as you can see at the bottom perimeter Which of course is an extra expense. Instead of aproning outward as with the run, the excess is tucked under the coop.

View attachment 2964461

Also I should probably mention, my flock took to peeling paint off the coop as well, yet another annoyance! :rolleyes: I snugly wrapped the bottom couple of feet with stiff bird netting secured with roofing screws and that put a stop to it, but weird things like that are just another "extra" to account for.
Hi there! What do you mean by aproning the hardware cloth outwards on the run? Aren’t you supposed to bury it? Thanks -

Hi there! What do you mean by aproning the hardware cloth outwards on the run? Aren’t you supposed to bury it? Thanks -

There are two options for an anti-dig barrier,

First, you can dig a trench and bury wire vertically,

Second, you can lay an wire apron flat on the ground, pin it down with landscape staples, and let grass grow through it.

The latter is easier for most people, though the former is more practical in some situations where the layout of the site doesn't permit an apron.

There are two options for an anti-dig barrier,

First, you can dig a trench and bury wire vertically,

Second, you can lay an wire apron flat on the ground, pin it down with landscape staples, and let grass grow through it.

The latter is easier for most people, though the former is more practical in some situations where the layout of the site doesn't permit an apron.
Ahhh interesting! Are they equally effective? Thank you!

I'll add to 3KB's post. In some areas digging a trench 12' deep is incredibly difficult. Tree roots, rocks, shale ledge are not east to get through. I'd have to rent a mini excavator to dig a anti dig trench. The laying it flat on the ground has been very effective for me. And much easier.

I'll add to 3KB's post. In some areas digging a trench 12' deep is incredibly difficult. Tree roots, rocks, shale ledge are not east to get through. I'd have to rent a mini excavator to dig a anti dig trench. The laying it flat on the ground has been very effective for me. And much easier.
Thank you! This is super helpful, and you are all really kind to respond!

They are "different".

If you have very uneven ground, so your netting doesn't lay flat, burying is often better. Also, less chance of catching a loose edge with your foot or the lawnmower. If you have very rocky ground, it may be near impossible to dig and bury, forcing you to use a flat skirt design. If you have heavy clay soils, they are both hard to dig and highly corrosive - again, favoring the flat skirting.

A buried metal fence deters all predators that don't dig beneath its bottom, no matter where they start their tunnel from - important if you deal with predators that dig long shallow holes. its less effective against a predator that will keep digging once its started. A skirt is often more effective if you have larger predators who begin digging as soon as they hit a barrier like the exposed fence (dogs are a great example - they try and dig under right next to the fence, and will keep digging down - the idea of starting a hole 2' away from the fence never occurs to them).

And repairs/checking for damage is often easier with a skirt.

Like anything, there are tradeoffs.

Thanks. Sorry for sounding quite ignorant — because I am! 😂😂😂 — but can’t predators (never mind bears) just knock down the netting? Would three hot wires around the paddock be more secure?

They won't touch the netting if the charger is hot enough and the grounding is good.

Some people bait their electric fence with bacon to make sure that the local predators are taught "Don't go here because it HURTS!" when they get their first shock on the sensitive mouth and nose.

Supposedly. :)

As to bears? No fencing will stop them. We used to have a "patrol box" we took on camping trips with all our cooking gear in it, but NEVER any food. Someone closed it up with some strawberry jelly inside. Cute little FL black bear made a go at it (and FL Black Bear, like pretty much all wild FL animals, when compared to the rest of the nation, are on the small side). It left deep gouges in 3/4" plywood and bashed up the box pretty good.

No wire is going to stop a bear, though livestock fence may frustrate one. Add some hot wires, with at least a couple joules of electric potential behind them, and its usually enough to convince them to find an easier meal.

Many of us use a combination of deterrents as part of a system (yes, that word again) to help us manage risk.

They are "different".

If you have very uneven ground, so your netting doesn't lay flat, burying is often better. Also, less chance of catching a loose edge with your foot or the lawnmower. If you have very rocky ground, it may be near impossible to dig and bury, forcing you to use a flat skirt design. If you have heavy clay soils, they are both hard to dig and highly corrosive - again, favoring the flat skirting.

A buried metal fence deters all predators that don't dig beneath its bottom, no matter where they start their tunnel from - important if you deal with predators that dig long shallow holes. its less effective against a predator that will keep digging once its started. A skirt is often more effective if you have larger predators who begin digging as soon as they hit a barrier like the exposed fence (dogs are a great example - they try and dig under right next to the fence, and will keep digging down - the idea of starting a hole 2' away from the fence never occurs to them).

And repairs/checking for damage is often easier with a skirt.

Like anything, there are tradeoffs.
Hey there - thanks! I will check the land around the run today. My sense is that it is somewhat rocky, but I’m not sure since a bunch of stuff is growing nearby. The area around the run is pretty even although as you move away it gets a little hilly and daly. These are great considerations. We are new here (rural northern Mass/Southern Vermont) so I also don’t fully know the lineup of predators, but for sure possums, raccoons, fishers, rodents, foxes, and yup - bears.

Back
Top Bottom