totally new here! thoughts on coop design in predator land?

New to actually keeping chickens although it's been a dream for over 6 years -- in fact, we are in the process of building the run (10x10) which will house a small Formex coop raised 24" off the ground for the 3 hens we are getting from a local farm. The run will be completely enclosed in hardware cloth (as well as some buried in the ground) and have a tin roof to help keep the run as dry as possible. We will only have 3 hens so there will be more than enough space inside the run for the chickens. My husband designed the run and we are making it in panels which will come apart if we should ever move or have to move the run itself to another part of our yard. Weather has not been our friend the past few weekends but we hope to have it put completely together soon and I will post pics then.

Hi there, brand new to chickens! Happy to be a part of this forum. I have been thinking about raising chickens for years, and finally feel we're in the place to start this project this year. I have been in research mode for weeks. This site is a goldmine for information, experiences and answers to many, many questions, and I have been reading so much, so thank you first and foremost!

I am in the midst of a pile of graph paper with various coop + run design ideas. I've perused the wonderful coops section and seen so many hundreds of photos of great setups, so many different methods! It is nicely overwhelming... :)

We are in rural Connecticut, on a quiet cul de sac road of one acre properties surrounded by overgrown brush lots, woods, fields, and farmland. We really have every predator in the state crossing through our property quite regularly. We have had many daytime sightings of bobcats (including bobkittens more than once), lots of LOUD, close yipping coyotes, and foxes on the trail cam (and I regularly find winter snow prints of all three). We spotted a bear come through once, in early April four years ago, but no sightings since (though I'm sure they're around). We also have red shouldered and red tailed hawks, including an occasional bald eagle, and a very established family of barred owls. There are also raccoons and opposums. The only thing I've never seen here is a weasel!

Considering all the predator action, my husband and I are looking at the best predator proofing we can provide (yes, I know bears can rip doors off cars and a hot wire is the only solution for that). In terms of the other four legged hunters. We were wondering if the safest way to build this is to have the coop completely enclosed inside a hardware cloth run. Enclosed as in, the coop would be a standalone structure in the center inside the run area, and would have no exterior outside access points at all. My husband is thinking this is the safest way to keep predators physically away from the coop.

While looking at photos, I realized I have not really seen any designs like this. So I wanted to ask, if there a reason this isn't done? Does it just add too much to the cost to make it fit this way? Or is that design overkill and not really needed?

I would love if anybody has any input regarding what kind of design works well living among very active predator cats and canines, who can obviously just smell my ideas!

Thank you for all your help!
bilt my chicken the way i like. put tin in grown 1 1/2 ft nail it to house put 1/2 wire under floor used dog kennel for pin with chicken wire in it chicken wire on grown and over top nothing gets my chickens put nest on out side don't have to go ind side ,4in PVC pipe for feeder and water feed and water from out side

New to actually keeping chickens although it's been a dream for over 6 years -- in fact, we are in the process of building the run (10x10) which will house a small Formex coop raised 24" off the ground for the 3 hens we are getting from a local farm. The run will be completely enclosed in hardware cloth (as well as some buried in the ground) and have a tin roof to help keep the run as dry as possible. We will only have 3 hens so there will be more than enough space inside the run for the chickens. My husband designed the run and we are making it in panels which will come apart if we should ever move or have to move the run itself to another part of our yard. Weather has not been our friend the past few weekends but we hope to have it put completely together soon and I will post pics then.

:frow from the Sandhills area.

Central NC is a great place to have an Open Air coop. With a fully-predator-proofed run like you're planning you may not need an enclosed coop at all -- just a 3-sided shelter on the windward end.

This is my coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

I suggest that you make sure that your run roof has a slope so that air can flow underneath it and rain will shed off it. There is a flat roof on a structure I was given and it has to be in deep shade to keep it under 100F on a 90+F day.

:frow from the Sandhills area.

Central NC is a great place to have an Open Air coop. With a fully-predator-proofed run like you're planning you may not need an enclosed coop at all -- just a 3-sided shelter on the windward end.

This is my coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

I suggest that you make sure that your run roof has a slope so that air can flow underneath it and rain will shed off it. There is a flat roof on a structure I was given and it has to be in deep shade to keep it under 100F on a 90+F day.
Our run roof will be sloped so that any rain runoff will go downhill away from the run. There will be an overhang on one side but I'm not understanding DH on exactly which side (he doesn't like his designs questioned haha). The run/coop will also be partially under a large shade tree so will be protected somewhat from the hot NC sun in the summer. But I appreciate the suggestions from a seasoned chicken owner.

I have all your predators plus weasels (one greeted me on the driveway a few years back).

While my run isn't predator proof (I opted for "predator resistant" due to the fact that my set up is close to the house and I'm generally at home), I do have my 6x10 coop fully inside the run. My coop page here.

Downsides to doing it this way are potential extra cost, the fact that the coop is eating up run space (so that needs to be compensated for, especially if space overall is an issue), and ease of access.

View attachment 2964225
What a snazzy taj mahal for your ladies! Just had to let you know how organised and impressive it is :clap

I'm very fortunate that I don't need a run and my girls free range all day and go back to their house to sleep.
All of my neighbors have noisy dogs so nothing can attack the chooks in the daytime.
However, there have been foxes seen at night so my only advice is the build your chook apartment on a cement slab. I know that foxes can dig under fences but a metal walled building with a cement floor is truly fort knox :cool:

Welcome to the "Flock" 👋 😃 🥚 🐣 🐔

I tried to plan ahead with coop & pen design but even after 2 coops, I still have "improvements" in mind, so it's an ongoing project...maybe it always will be, I happen to love it all. 🐔 ❤️

I have daily predators visiting. I'm on the migratory flyaway, so constant variety of Hawks. Foxes lived here way before me, this is their turf so I opted for predator proof pens & allow the foxes to be rodent patrol. They also chase off coyote. Odd how they seem to get along with neighbors cats. I see foxes, coyotes, raccoons, opossums, skunks, weasels, groundhogs, snakes, hawks, falcons & owls, (deer, squirrels & rabbits but they don't care about chickens or pigeons)...we do not have bears or gators, but some folks have caught sight of occasional cougar, pretty rare though.

Anyway, I bought rolls of hardware cloth & made 2x8 panels, also dug down 2 feet into ground then surrounded pens with stone or walkways. No one has even tried to dig in, but if they do, they won't get far.

I've had Homing Pigeons for years prior to adding chickens to the family, so I already knew about hawks & raccoons. I like having access to coop or loft without having to go through pens. I like having access to pens without having to go through coop or loft. So that's why I designed like I did.

I know people that have terrible issues with mice or rats, so I tried not to give them places to hide, such as under any structure. My buildings are all elevated on cinderblocks. I learned with sheds, if I don't elevate enough, that's when I got groundhogs & skunks, as well as rodents. I actually allow neighbors cats & the foxes to patrol the property, which I know sounds nuts, but hey it's worked well since I moved here 2007. If it ever became a problem, I'd go with voltage fencing but so far so good, we're gotten along fine, not a single casualty or even so much as a hole dug. Fox even hangs out with me, lays down by the fire pit as I burn scrap wood. I'm surrounded by acres of farmland on 3 sides, not my property, so those foxes with their dens have lived here hundreds of years. I opted for live & let live, so luckily for me, it works out well. I get a kick out of watching foxy pounce & get mice & moles, he keeps busy. Other chicken owners nearby have serious rodent issues, so my foxes are appreciated. I've seen what horrible devastation rats can do...nope never want to deal with that because once rats move in, good luck getting rid of them.

Here are some pics of coop 1 & coop 2. I've already got coop 3 planned Lol. The biggest thing is knowing what draws predators...any source of food, whether that's the livestock, their droppings, their eggs or their food. Scoop poop, Collect eggs daily, provide nest boxes inside coop, no egg laying outside. I keep food in tins inside coop, feeders are inside coop. The only food in pens is what gets eaten asap, like a suspended cabbage or bit of cantaloupe or watermelon & the rind gets picked up, not left laying there at dusk. I noticed that the people having the most issues with predators, are always throwing food on the ground everywhere.
Also, my compost heap is far from my coop, loft & house, at the furthest part of my yard behind the shop.

I'd have to say the best investment I ever made, was the hardware cloth. Keeps mice & snakes out, creates pens & covers windows & vents...best thing I ever bought.

Some pics
20200829_194711.jpg 20200927_175744.jpg 20200927_175855.jpg 20200831_180030.jpg 20210710_200505.jpg 20210710_184956.jpg 20210613_203601.jpg 20200829_194502.jpg 20220111_104357.jpg 20200829_194602.jpg 20220225_175439.jpg 20211114_165521.jpg
20201217_133725.jpg

Attachments

• 20201130_125338.jpg
    20201130_125338.jpg
    837.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20201130_125314.jpg
    20201130_125314.jpg
    846.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have all the same cast of characters but have also seen fisher cats run through the woods behind my house.
I put the coop/run combo plunked inside a perimeter fence of poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger. I've not lost any birds to ground predators. I lost one to a hawk in just over 3.5 years.
Does poultry netting that surrounds a coop and run have to be continuous? In other words, can it be a semi-circle? My coop is in a barn and the run is just outside it. Even though the run will be reinforced, and a a paddock reinforced with hardware cloth surrounds the run, I think I’m going to need some hot wire for added night protection. Or is the better solution running wires around the paddock? Ugh — I am still feeling confused! Thanks —

Welcome to the "Flock" 👋 😃 🥚 🐣 🐔

I tried to plan ahead with coop & pen design but even after 2 coops, I still have "improvements" in mind, so it's an ongoing project...maybe it always will be, I happen to love it all. 🐔 ❤️

I have daily predators visiting. I'm on the migratory flyaway, so constant variety of Hawks. Foxes lived here way before me, this is their turf so I opted for predator proof pens & allow the foxes to be rodent patrol. They also chase off coyote. Odd how they seem to get along with neighbors cats. I see foxes, coyotes, raccoons, opossums, skunks, weasels, groundhogs, snakes, hawks, falcons & owls, (deer, squirrels & rabbits but they don't care about chickens or pigeons)...we do not have bears or gators, but some folks have caught sight of occasional cougar, pretty rare though.

Anyway, I bought rolls of hardware cloth & made 2x8 panels, also dug down 2 feet into ground then surrounded pens with stone or walkways. No one has even tried to dig in, but if they do, they won't get far.

I've had Homing Pigeons for years prior to adding chickens to the family, so I already knew about hawks & raccoons. I like having access to coop or loft without having to go through pens. I like having access to pens without having to go through coop or loft. So that's why I designed like I did.

I know people that have terrible issues with mice or rats, so I tried not to give them places to hide, such as under any structure. My buildings are all elevated on cinderblocks. I learned with sheds, if I don't elevate enough, that's when I got groundhogs & skunks, as well as rodents. I actually allow neighbors cats & the foxes to patrol the property, which I know sounds nuts, but hey it's worked well since I moved here 2007. If it ever became a problem, I'd go with voltage fencing but so far so good, we're gotten along fine, not a single casualty or even so much as a hole dug. Fox even hangs out with me, lays down by the fire pit as I burn scrap wood. I'm surrounded by acres of farmland on 3 sides, not my property, so those foxes with their dens have lived here hundreds of years. I opted for live & let live, so luckily for me, it works out well. I get a kick out of watching foxy pounce & get mice & moles, he keeps busy. Other chicken owners nearby have serious rodent issues, so my foxes are appreciated. I've seen what horrible devastation rats can do...nope never want to deal with that because once rats move in, good luck getting rid of them.

Here are some pics of coop 1 & coop 2. I've already got coop 3 planned Lol. The biggest thing is knowing what draws predators...any source of food, whether that's the livestock, their droppings, their eggs or their food. Scoop poop, Collect eggs daily, provide nest boxes inside coop, no egg laying outside. I keep food in tins inside coop, feeders are inside coop. The only food in pens is what gets eaten asap, like a suspended cabbage or bit of cantaloupe or watermelon & the rind gets picked up, not left laying there at dusk. I noticed that the people having the most issues with predators, are always throwing food on the ground everywhere.
Also, my compost heap is far from my coop, loft & house, at the furthest part of my yard behind the shop.

I'd have to say the best investment I ever made, was the hardware cloth. Keeps mice & snakes out, creates pens & covers windows & vents...best thing I ever bought.

Some pics
View attachment 3035802View attachment 3035804View attachment 3035807View attachment 3035808View attachment 3035818View attachment 3035820View attachment 3035822View attachment 3035823View attachment 3035824View attachment 3035803View attachment 3035826View attachment 3035827
View attachment 3036258
Hi there! I love your coop and run. Many people say not to put the food in the coop because it attracts little critters and the chickens should be eating outside. What has been your experience?

Does poultry netting that surrounds a coop and run have to be continuous? In other words, can it be a semi-circle? My coop is in a barn and the run is just outside it. Even though the run will be reinforced, and a a paddock reinforced with hardware cloth surrounds the run, I think I’m going to need some hot wire for added night protection. Or is the better solution running wires around the paddock? Ugh — I am still feeling confused! Thanks —

You can place electric netting so that the ends are against a solid wall rather than putting it in a continuous circle.

Back
Top Bottom