ToTW = fat dog?

The good note is - with her extreme allergies, she loses most of the fur on her back during the spring, summer, fall. That is all growing back in right now. She always looks like she has mange or something. I think this food is really helping. We were on the verge of putting her down because she always seemed miserable, now she acts like a little bit younger dog again.

Lots of folks don't realize that dogs are allergic to a lot of the same stuff people are. We've discovered that my Katie is also allergic to chicken! Now she gets fish everything!!

ETA---except for her dried yams and blue berries, lol

Last edited:
I'm thinking my boxer mutt (avatar dog) is allergic to chicken. She did great on the pacific flavor TotW. When I brought home a bag of the prairie version she started scratching again. Both are grain free, but the prairie has chicken. She's back on the salmon flavor.
smile.png

My friends older poodle was allergic to turkey, chicken, lamb, soy, wheat, corn, beef, peas....and more. She said it was 3 pages of mostly food allergies. She feeds hers Pacific Stream and her dog loves it, and is doing very well on it.
I prefer to feed my dogs the Pacific, but I get the others for variation...I hope the tractor supply near me starts to get the new Lamb formula too, it has the lower % protein too.

I have been feeding my Komondor and Yorkies TotW for years now. I have been using the High Prairie kind, but I just bought a bag of Pacific Stream yesterday. I free feed all the dogs and have never had a overweight dog. Even the rescue Komondor that at some point in his life had been starving. I was told that he was found weighing 85lbs on his 120lb frame. It took him awhile to learn that he was always going to have something to eat, but he would still clean the counter tops if I forgot, and left something down that he liked. He liked to laugh at me.

At any rate the reason for changing the variety of food was, that the Pacific Stream is only 25% protein instead of 32% for the other flavors. All the dogs seem to be a bit more itchy lately at least more than they had been. I am thinking that by changing the amount of protein in the dogs diet will help with the itchy feelings. I will have to see how this will turn out.

It was mentioned on another thread and I agreed that the TOTW suggested feeding guidelines seem a bit high. Only needing closer to 2 cups for an 80lb dog would not be at all uncommon to me and about what my 80lb akita is willing to eat. Our only problem was that the akita will not eat meals, one of the few dogs who will starve herself to health problems, and the shiba was turning in to a little barrel making off with so much TOTW. None of my akita's relatives will get fat on any food while I know many dogs that will get fat on any food they are free fed. It all depends on the individual. For many it also depends on the brand of food with different brands or flavors being more or less appealing to each dog. We've been feeding diamond naturals to the shiba and then a can of totw plus other things to the akita. We just picked up some kent Native 3 at the new feedstore to try out. So far the akita inhaled 1 cup of it today. It was about $40/40lbs where the TOTW bags we were buying are a bit over $40 for 30lbs but it's not grain free. The grains used are better ones like oats and barley with rice instead of corn or wheat which are more likely to cause allergies and other health problems. 30% protein, 20% fat, and 4,409kcals/kg. We're hoping this is tasty enough and concentrated enough to get her to eat all she needs at least throughout the night while the shiba is in the crate.

Back
Top Bottom