Toughest dog toy?

I confess to buying the cheap $1 stuffies in the bargain bin because mine get such joy out of destuffing them. Yeah, the house looks like it snowed, but they do love it so.
smile.png

Beware the cow hooves. Mine love them too, but if you get the ones with black on them (at least around here) your house will smell like a barnyard. And not the sweet pleasant part of the barnyard either!
sickbyc.gif
First time I got a black one I gave it to my dog to chew on in the car while I ran in the store (it was cold out so there was no fear of overheating). When I got back in the car I was sure she had pooped somewhere. Blech! Took a week to air the car back out. I never have a problem with the clear/yellow ones, just the black.

Black kongs are made for chewers, while red are made for bouncing. Try the largest black kong you can find.

If the pup goes through a black kong too easily, bump the size up. The kongs are designed to be hard to hold for the animals, so the larger the better.

-Kim

Largest black kongs - most stores will replace them.

Tire biter toys - the bigger ones.

The NEW toys made by ....

GIANT marine Bouys - hang em from a tree or house rafter or ceiling with a bungee cord.

Deer antlers

Entire raw beef femurs.

Don't kill me - goat heads, sorry to the sensitive among you.

Mine can kill a Jolly Ball - handle and soft or hard and no handle in just over three minutes.

NO stuffy has ever lasted more than mere seconds.

No canvas toy either.

Rope toys the really huge ones have been known to last upwards of fifteen minutes.

Indestructiballs - used to last less than four or five minutes.

A wiggly giggly lasts 15 seconds flat.

Bike tires bungeed to the edges of roof rafters last awhile if they're off road tires. Take off metal parts.

If you wrap 1 inch rope around a bike tire - tight, and then bungee the whole thing to a roof rafter - it lasts a good long while.

If you tether a marine bouy to a tether ball pole you make a toy the dog can play with by itself in the yard, keeps some dogs quite entertained.

Drill 1-2 inch holes in clean oak limbs - stuff with peanut butter.

You get the idea that some dogs take a bit of creativity to not eat the house??? After 20 years in rescue you get creative or you lose all your stuff.

Walkswithdog....... I think you have Tesla's relatives at your house!!!! Gave me ideas too. Going to have to try the bungee bike tire and the tethered buoy. Not sure the bassets will care but I have a 90 pound monster puppy who would probably go nuts over the new toys!

I didn't know that they would most often REPLACE the large black kongs! That is AWESOME! No wonder they are pricey(for my tastes), but they are totally worth the price if they are replaced!

-Kim

DH got fed up one day and brought home a tire for a rototiller and a bowling ball! ha ha She ignored the tire and the bowling ball is too heavy for her to push with her nose to roll, but she sure tries! Maybe we need a 5 or 6 lbs bowling ball.
lau.gif

This is going to sound dumb, but it has worked like a charm for my Pyr and my Newfie: Take them with you to the store, and tell them to pick out their own toy. Buy whatever they drool on (well, not the floor/walls/ceiling obviously, but whatever gets mouthed).

My two are perfectly capable of destroying any piece of plastic, any fire hose toy, anything labeled "indestructible," any ball of any type. I took them to the feed store with me one day, and they picked up a stuffed toy monkey with a squeaker thing in it. Since it was covered with the special sticky Newf Drool, of course I paid for it.

That was three months ago. Since then, the monkey has lost only one paw, off the arm they use to drag it around. Squeaker thingy is still intact, and if you make the noise the squeaker makes, they will sit and nuzzle you. All other limbs and tail on this stuffed toy are completely intact, and it has lost no more than a teaspoon of stuffing.

They have large beef bones for chewing, and a soccer ball that gets replaced every couple of months. They destroy other stuffed toys they are given in minutes. Toys they pick out themselves last and last.

Here is our best toy ever. http://www.petco.com/product/108754...-Treat-Ball-for-Dogs.aspx?CoreCat=DogSFC_Toys It was recommended by a guy in the store that said his dogs chewed everything to shreads. We got the big one. You can buy replacement tabbies to chew/lick and in the other side put treats. The whole thing gets chewed on but not destroyed. It's worth a try. Expensive but lasts. Maybe not by your dog but you should try it. We like ours.

Back
Top Bottom