Town Bylaws

It's definitely a bummer when you start wanting chickens yet where you live is not condusive. I had assumed at my last house since I was on 2 acres, all would be well. But even then, they developed strict HOA new homes all around me and those people were not thrilled about my non HOA existence. Kind of shocking when you think 2 acres is enough for privacy. I moved.....
It’s crazy. For my town, if a property is larger than 5 acres it’s no problem. If the property is between 40,000 sq. ft. and 5 acres, a Special Permit is needed from the Board of Appeals through a public hearing. If the property is under 40,000 sq. ft. it’s not allowed. I’m under 40,000. Maybe in the future I’ll be able to move.

It’s crazy. For my town, if a property is larger than 5 acres it’s no problem. If the property is between 40,000 sq. ft. and 5 acres, a Special Permit is needed from the Board of Appeals through a public hearing. If the property is under 40,000 sq. ft. it’s not allowed. I’m under 40,000. Maybe in the future I’ll be able to move.
That really is dramatically restrictive, so sorry. If you're close to 40 you could go try the appeals process, you never know, maybe it's streamlined...

It's definitely a bummer when you start wanting chickens yet where you live is not condusive. I had assumed at my last house since I was on 2 acres, all would be well. But even then, they developed strict HOA new homes all around me and those people were not thrilled about my non HOA existence. Kind of shocking when you think 2 acres is enough for privacy. I moved.....
It’s crazy.
That really is dramatically restrictive, so sorry. If you're close to 40 you could go try the appeals process, you never know, maybe it's streamlined...
Thanks, we think so too. We have a quarter acre so it’s a no go unfortunately.

Have you checked with your town’s zoning bylaws about keeping chickens?
I am so very lucky where I live. I can have chickens, goats, cows, pigs, bunnies, bees. I have chickens and bees.

I didn't look it up before I got chickens.:oops: I figured if I was surrounded by farm fields, it would be fine.

I was actually surprised by some of the ordinances I looked at, specifically the noise ordinances. They made sense.:th

I am so very lucky where I live. I can have chickens, goats, cows, pigs, bunnies, bees. I have chickens and bees.

I didn't look it up before I got chickens.:oops: I figured if I was surrounded by farm fields, it would be fine.

I was actually surprised by some of the ordinances I looked at, specifically the noise ordinances. They made sense.:th
I’m envious. Maybe it’ll happen for me in the future.

Back
Top Bottom