Toys and non-boring activities for my girls during winter?

Chickens really aren't into toys. Chickens like to peck and scratch about. Tossing out some scratch grains twice a day will give them something to do. You could try a flock block. I put down grass hay for my birds to forage through in winter and to stand on.

If they have access to sun they will sun themselves. Also provide a goo dust bath area.

I was just wondering if some toys or like roosts or something I could add to thier coop so they don’t get bored. Any ideas? Thanks
How big is your coop?
Pics would help.
Extra roosts can help.
How big is your run and is it weather proof?
Lots of space is the best tonic for 'cabin fever'.

Be careful giving too many 'treats' to assuage boredom,
you don't want to reduce their basic nutrition for optimal health.
A healthy bird is more likely to withstand the cold temps and stress of winter confinement.

I sprout some wheat for a green treat once a week or so.
upload_2018-10-22_6-53-57.png

I have a veggie ball (link below) that holds a head of lettuce, and hang it up so that they basically play tether ball with it. And I have a similar one that holds an ear of corn that I swap out and hang up when I've got corn. A pile of dry leaves (with a little dirt and hopefully bugs) makes them super happy. I used to give them giant banana plant leaves, as I've got some giant plants in my garden where just the leaves are over 6 foot long... but then one of my girls got an impacted crop and I've been extra careful to not give them anything they can get impacted on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQ7H9HQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am partial to using mounds of hay. Large particulate food items like pellets, shell corn, BOSS, oats, wheat and millet are scattered on mounds and birds work through by scratching all day. They will also slowly consume the hay over time. I also provide platforms and perchs the birds can go to during the day. Scattering treats their can help.

It is not always about play. They like to loaf in locations where they are not overly crowded and have a good view of surroundings. Make so they have good places to sun bath, especially when it is cold. A good dust bathing location you will also find is a popular diversion.

I made a "playground" for our birds in the run. Took so large sticks and zip tied them together and next to that an old tire filled with sand. They dont use the tire as much as i had hoped but they love the sticks. They will vie for the highest one. They also just like jumping up on them and hanging out. I thought about adding a swing but i dont think they will use it

Back
Top Bottom