Toys for Chickens?

he.gif
:he
Quote:
Yes I found out what happens when Rhode Island Reds are bored and in a coop with 8 week old EEs... 1 chick down 2 injured
hit.gif
he.gif

I put greens (spinach, broccoli, grass, leaves, etc.) in a suet feeder and hang it on the fence. They can peck at it until they eat it all. Hmmmm if I hang it from a string maybe it would take them longer? I'll have to give it a try.

I use a woofle ball and stuff it with sunflower seed and raisins. As the chickens roll it around the treats fall out. They love this so much and it is great fun to watch. If I want to get them back in their coop enclosure all I do is rattle the ball and they come running into the coop.

I do the suet feeder thing, but the whoffle ball sounds awesome! anybody for a game of chicken soccer? I'm trying that tonight!

I did get them some crickets once. Out of 24 cricket and 12 chickens, it was only 2 of my barred rocks that got 95% of the crickets. Next time I need to get more crickets. By the time the rest of them figured out that there was food hoppin' around, the Pointer Sisters (they all look the same so they got a group name
smile.png
) had all of them wolfed down.

Chickens' favorite toys seem to be something they can eat. In addition to the things mentioned - we have a garden with an abundance of cherry tomatoes and they love them and look like clowns running around holding a cherry tomato like a big red nose! (except my Silky roo - he hates tomatoes)

DItto all the food ideas. Here is my non food toy that gets alot of action. I use an empty plastic container with a lid, old margarine tub, cottage cheese, coffee container and throw in a few pebbles. They peck at it and roll it from one side of the run to the other. I am not sure why, but it gives them something to peck at other than each other.

I've been having happy results with shredded kale in a blueberry-type plastic box. Just extend some of the slits in the box to make it a little more basket-y. They toss it around the run all afternoon, pulling strands of greenery out, and then playing keep-away. Oh! And the BEST "toy" for playing keep-away (evidently) is a nice, fat, noisy Cicada! Makes a great spectator sport too!

mm

Back
Top Bottom