Track for guillotine pop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Leigti, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Hello, I plan to install a guillotine style pop door. I'm going to use it with an automatic door opener. I have a 1/4 inch thick plastic cutting board that I plan to use for the door. My problem is I don't know how to make a track. I realize this is pretty easy for a lot of people but I am not handy, don't have a lot of tools, and don't really know what to do.
    So my question is, can somebody give me a very basic step-by-step instructions, pictures are welcome to :), on how to construct a track for this door. Thank you for any suggestions.

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Go to lowes or home depot and look by the lattice panels, they have 8' sections of track to cover the edges. Cut to size. Screw to door opening. Insert cutting board. Done.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Thank you! It's nice to have some sort of idea of where to start when you walk into a Home Depot.

4. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Something like this? How do I screw it into a board without making the channel collapse?
    [​IMG]

5. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    With this design be better?
    [​IMG]

6. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    What about this?
    [​IMG]

7. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Look at it like a U, screw through it from the open part through the back part into the wall

Gary

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  8. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
  9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You don’t want something in that channel to snag the door as it is closing. Be aware of screws and screw heads when attaching the channel, you don’t want to create places where it can get caught.

I use wood doors instead of plastic and make my channels like Pats, using two different widths of wood. I also clip the corners of the doors (actually sand the wood so it is really smooth). Cut it off like a triangle at the bottom corners so it is more likely to slide over any rough spots. Just taper it a little and make sure it is smooth.

10. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I think the channel made out of two pieces of wood is going to be the easiest. Since it's going to be on an automatic door opener it can't hang up on anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by