Tractor Design feedback

kathlynr8

Songster
6 Years
Nov 12, 2014
Vermont
Hi all ,
I am considering building a chicken tractor for 5 chickens. This needs to be something that I can move by myself.
I will be putting it inside an electric web netting fence... I will only use during the day. However it gets shady fast here / overcast and I hear owls out sometimes before dark.. and also have seen them during the day in the woods.

I have a field that is surrounded by woods on 3 sides.. and you could make an argument for the fourth side.. so I am also having some difficulty in permanant coop location but that is another thing to unravel. Non the less - I am thinking there will be a permanent coop at night.

Id like this tractor to act as a go between for baby chicks once they out grow brooder. (they would be in this Indoors with a wooden board as base i think if that would work..
I could also potentially take them outside in it after a month or so ?? (observed) once bigger but not full grown
(not with fence as would pop through fence)

I also like this to have a second space to separate a sick chicken if need be.. indoors.

I want this to act as "a duck into space" so they can run here to get away from aerial attacks and to provide shade.
Would this work? I know it is small - but they have the netting and are in the fence.. it is only to get into if they need to duck for cover..

I want to use 1x2s to make it easy to move. But if you think 2x4s are better - Id like to hear that.

I would cover it partially in plywood type sheet.

I suppose it needs vents?
OR - Should I just make it all hardware cloth and just have a roof over one side for shade?

Here is my drawing.. I have it 6Lx x3W X 2H -
I suppose I would have the covered area 3-4' L - but would like feedback on that.. Of course it will be completely covered in hardware cloth on top and sides and open on base..

I have bears, foxes, etc - so I am relying heavily on the electric mesh here.. and this is a during the day thing when Id be around... but not necc next to them (I want to rotate them around my field)

I wasnt thinking perches or swings but could do that as well.

I am willing to change dimensions if too small - but again need to move by myself easily - otherwise I will never move it.

Another design I am considering is a pvc type design.. I will attach that here as well... let me know if one is better..
The PVC one concerns me a little. but I like the lightweight-ness and ease of build.

To give credit - The PVC one is from 40 Projects for Building your Backyard Homestead by Peter Toht.

Feedback please!! -> I think better now than after I build it...

Thanks!

-Kate

Ruddle-tractor-simple-design.jpg

pvc-tractor-backyardhomestead.jpg

I have no experience with chicken tractors, but my mother made a hoop type out of old pvc pipe the previous home owners left. Its stickly open concept (like the second photo) as she puts her two hens in a prefab coop/run at night or on rainy days, but it's super simple and mobile for nice days. It's super light to move to.

I have no experience with chicken tractors, but my mother made a hoop type out of old pvc pipe the previous home owners left. Its stickly open concept (like the second photo) as she puts her two hens in a prefab coop/run at night or on rainy days, but it's super simple and mobile for nice days. It's super light to move to.
Oh, i guess i should've read your post further as you already mentioned using pvc, lol. It is super very convenient.

Thats cool - but looks heavy to me.. and I have a ton of scrap lumber as I am building my own house..
Id like to use what ive got on hand rather than find a new thing even if its old to someone else..
Ive got a million short 2x4s but there is a practical limit sometimes...

Oh, i guess i should've read your post further as you already mentioned using pvc, lol. It is super very convenient.
nice to know its a possible solution - it looks good to me.. I am almost considering both.. inside the fenced area... so they could run to the closest..

nice to know its a possible solution - it looks good to me.. I am almost considering both.. inside the fenced area... so they could run to the closest..
I like that it is bigger.. Im not completely convinced by the cloth they used... but I suppose i could substitute hardware cloth..

Back
Top Bottom