Tractor for Silkies

ltcffl03

Chirping
Oct 9, 2023
Hello,
We have Silkies coming the end of February and I decided to go with the medium tractor design from Green willow homestead. Anyone have any feedback or suggestions, something they would do differently?
Thank you
Screenshot_20231226_124225_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I do not know that particular coop, but I can give you a few considerations.

I would go with the mega, just for the height. Unless you're short, you'll be bowing your head the whole time you are doing anything in your coop.

You'll most likely have to go around the whole thing with 1/2" hardware cloth to keep predators out.

Silkies can't fly nor jump up well like regular chickens, so you may need a ramp to get to the nest boxes or put them lower. You could have 4 nest boxes and invariably, they'll only use one or two.

They should have like flat perches, like a 1x2 or 4 flat side up. We had some and took them out and put a rail up in front of the nest boxes as they wanted to sleep on or in the nests mostly. That works but most still sleep on top.

Good luck! I love raising silkies and you should too. They are loving and adorable birds.

My baby Silkies are 3 weeks old and I'm building mine shortly got the plans from Amy White's web site. My other coop is like a tank, I over built it and need to build another as I don't want to mix my chickens up.

20240101_152846.jpg
Was able to make alot of progress on the Silkie tractor this weekend, still need to build a door into the run, add hinges to all the doors, surround the run with wire, make the ramp, coop door, paint it, build roosting bars. Going to take a couple more weekends.

Attachments

• 20240101_152955.jpg
    20240101_152955.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240101_152925.jpg
    20240101_152925.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 3717139Was able to make alot of progress on the Silkie tractor this weekend, still need to build a door into the run, add hinges to all the doors, surround the run with wire, make the ramp, coop door, paint it, build roosting bars. Going to take a couple more weekends.
Love the design my Silkies are going to be 4 weeks this Thursday, so I haver to get with my build also. I have one for our red comb Batman's that's built like a tank, also looks like we may keep our runt as she has a crossed beak as a inside pet.

Love the design my Silkies are going to be 4 weeks this Thursday, so I haver to get with my build also. I have one for our red comb Batman's that's built like a tank, also looks like we may keep our runt as she has a crossed beak as a inside pet.
Are yours coming from crackle hatchery?

Back
Top Bottom