Tractor ideas?

JacksFlock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Maine
Trying to decide what type/size of tractor to build for my meaties. I'm thinking of getting 25 and want to pasture them in the back lawn. Anyone think theirs is better than another?

My meat birds are in a permanent "freezer camp." For 25 you will want it light so it will be easy to move. PVC pipe and hardware cloth should fit the bill. Say, 2 or 3 feet tall and 6 or 8 feet square to start. Depending on the breed, you may have to go bigger as they grow, but you don't want them to get too much exercise. They need to get plump. Old lawnmower wheels should work for mobility.

I agree that a 8 x 8 (64 sq ft) would be of sufficient floor area for 25 birds. The 6 x 6 (36 sq ft) would be too small. The hieght would be dictated by the size and convenience of installing the wire. Assuming it will have a lid for feed, and water access. The only problem we encountered was predator digging under edge. We now have 4 (2 x 8's) laying flat surrounding the tractor.

I did 8x8 for 32 birds. It was a great size for them. I used all lumber, 4x4 base, 4x4 corners, 2x4 walls. It was really heavy. If I were building it again, I would try to figure out a way to use PVC for the walls, still using 4x4 for base and corners for support and protection.

I build a 6X10 and a 6X14 that can be used for meaties or layers. Check my facebook page below, for pics and info.

We are in the process of redoing all our meatie tractors. We used pvc pipe but it broke down in 18 months from the weather/sun. We also found it too light weight and it didn't stand up to the wind. This go round we are using a similar design but with cattle panels and wood. I'll post pics when we get it done. Way too cold here to work on it today as planned.

Good luck!

72666_dsc00250.jpg

My husband and friend built this, it's 10x10, easy to move, keeps all 11 chickens safe and comfortable.
frow.gif

This is the direction we are going too. Our's will be 6x10 because that is the base we have from the pvc model. We're probably going to do the back wall in plywood as a windbreak and then cover the top with a tarp. Our hope is to get 3 built by spring.

Carla, anything advice? Very nice!
clap.gif

Last edited:
72666_image0085.jpg

Thank you. This is the finished product. We keep a tarp or two up during the summer to give a little shade and as a wind block. I can't remember where we found the plans but am very happy with it. It didn't take alot of money, there is a rope both front and back for dragging it to new spots. Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom