Tractor supply chickens

rockin4x4s

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 16, 2014

We got our chickens from the tractor supply store in April. I really don't know what breed I got or if I have hens or roo's. Could anyone help me out. I can try and get better pic's.

Thank you

welcome-byc.gif

I usually agree with OShay, but I'm going to disagree here. I do think the red birds with white tips and tails are red sex link pullets, and as he said they're egg laying machines. The white birds look like some type of Leghorn based hybrid, maybe an Amberlink or Tetra Tint, something like that. I can't find a good pic of a red sex link cockerel at that age right off, but they have dark red coming in on the shoulders,and are usually not at all shy about growing combs by now. I think you'll have tinted eggs from the white birds and brown from the reds.
smile.png

Here's a pic of a rsl cockerel from another thread
LL

Last edited:
You're chickens are Red Sex Links, red gene rooster X silver gene hen hybrids, which are easily sexed by color. The three reddish ones with white tail feathers are pullets and the three whitish ones with slight traces of red in the neck and saddle area are cockerels. The bad news is that half of them are cockerels and you need to get rid of at least two of them. The good news is that Red Sex Link hens are egg laying machines.

The white ones are really roosters? I can't believe all 3 r roosters. How can u tell? If this is true I need more hens asap. Sorry this shocked me. I'm new to chicken and thought I was doing good.

Red ones are sex-links. The white ones look like females to me, but not sure of the breed or cross. They've got some black and red showing up in them.

welcome-byc.gif

I usually agree with OShay, but I'm going to disagree here. I do think the red birds with white tips and tails are red sex link pullets, and as he said they're egg laying machines. The white birds look like some type of Leghorn based hybrid, maybe an Amberlink or Tetra Tint, something like that.
Actually, I think you may be right now that you've mentioned it. They could be Amber Links, which are reverse Sex Links. It would be unusual for a Tractor Supply Store to carry both Sex Links (which is very common) and reverse Sex Links, so the idea never occurred to me, but it could certainly happen.

Ok. I got more pics. The red ones are red sex links. Good to know. Are they all hens? The white ones seem like tetra tints. I have been looking up all the things everyone has been saying. 2 of my white ones have a tint to them but not brown patches. When they were baby's they had black spots on them. Only 1 has a few left. Any thoughts on the sex?

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom