Tractor Supply Chicks Not Being Taken Care Of

I've noticed that at the Fredericksburg, VA TSC yesterday. The veritical brooder was replaced with the galvanized tubs they used in the past. In addition to any improvement in the chicks' quality of life, it makes for a more appealing display, IMHO.
I believe the corporate statement is they are temporarily returning to tubs. This is due to public outcry. If I were in charge, TSC wouldn't be selling chicks, sorry. It stresses the chicks twice (shipping then selling in temporary brooders) for no reason; almost everyone in the continental US can order chicks shipped to them, or better yet, find a local farm or feed store with chicks, pullets, hens, or even hatching eggs.

I believe the corporate statement is they are temporarily returning to tubs. This is due to public outcry. If I were in charge, TSC wouldn't be selling chicks, sorry. It stresses the chicks twice (shipping then selling in temporary brooders) for no reason; almost everyone in the continental US can order chicks shipped to them, or better yet, find a local farm or feed store with chicks, pullets, hens, or even hatching eggs.
So no farm stores should sell chicks? Tsc isn't the only one that resells. Shiptons Big R, Ace, (others that I've heard of but aren't anywhere near me). Even a few hatcheries do that.

Besides, not everyone can buy a large minimum order (or wants to pay almost 100 bucks for 6 chicks)

I’ve not been really commenting about the whole TSC thing. Very generally, I was not a fan of the brooder towers. I can see where they might be useful in a commercial setting absolutely, but implementation was not done well, training, or care, and that’s on corporate. From my view as a customer, the chicks were not doing as well in either of the TSCs. Pasty butts were more obvious certainly, but just more than I saw last year, same stores. Definitely in any set up, I saw differences in care between stores. The chicks definitely seem happier at my main TSC in the tubs. My main store has always been pretty good keeping up with their care. Secondary store, not so much with either setting.

What I haven’t seen discussed is presentation, even if the tower brooders were implemented and wonderful with happy chicks, I still personally wouldn’t be a fan. The towers just look commercial. Obviously they are, but I would think TSC would go for a more “small town” homey kinda vibe for customers. Also, unless you’re a five year old, kinda hard seeing the chicks on the bottom tier, or unless you can use stools hard to see in the top tier. Viewing the chicks was difficult IMO in the tiers. I would think many of the clientele would want to be able to see individual chicks and point them out. Sure there are customers that want a large number and scoop out x number and doesn’t matter. But I would guess a large portion of customers are the former. Also the towers kind of ‘blend in’ with the other stacks of products and didn’t really catch eyes, imo. And again, a huddle of chicks in a not very high tier are not very ‘eye-catching. Also I have heard from TSC employees that getting a chick out is difficult and they can potentially run out and fall to the floor. Also the plexiglass(?) was always invariably dirty/smudgy further impeding view. I just don’t feel, from the view point of advertising/display the towers were a good choice, even if they were fully utilized and maintained in a proper manner. Maybe they could be used (properly) in the back/warehouse to house the extra chicks?

If it matters, I was chicken-mathing last year and buying lots of chicks last year. I have not purchased any this year until about a week ago at a third TSC in my area. (That transaction with the employee was really good! And chicks and tub set up looked well). The main reason I haven’t grabbed chicks before then is because the area TSCs seemed to be getting chicks from a different place at least the first few months, and always the same breeds. I either had them already or wasn’t interested (sorry plain white leghorns and ISAs!).

I probably have more opinions to spout, but my brain fizzled! Oh, the holding back the chicks for a day from the public floor is a good move!

So no farm stores should sell chicks? Tsc isn't the only one that resells. Shiptons Big R, Ace, (others that I've heard of but aren't anywhere near me). Even a few hatcheries do that.

Besides, not everyone can buy a large minimum order (or wants to pay almost 100 bucks for 6 chicks)
Full disclosure, I raise a heritage breed (roll eyes here) never available locally at any store. And I don't like big chain pet stores selling puppies, either. Local farms can sustainably supply feed stores. There was a problem with a TSC supplier (huge operation) this year, too. I'm on the side of more humanely raised animals and diversity in breeding. I'm one of those. Staunchly.

There aren't just local farms everywhere like people seem to think. There are a handful of breeders within a 2 hour drive bere, none of which can keep a store supplied enough, let alone with breeds cheap enough to be worth selling like that
Just checked and your profile says Montana, got it. We may differ on some things, but I respect your opinion.

I live in North Florida. But if I lived in Montana near you and you wanted to raise Crevecoeurs, I'd hatch you some for free. My goal is furthering the breed and I'm not even very far down the path.

There aren't just local farms everywhere like people seem to think. There are a handful of breeders within a 2 hour drive bere, none of which can keep a store supplied enough, let alone with breeds cheap enough to be worth selling like that
Do you ever consider buying from them? I totally would!! I'd make the drive and investment. My chooks are my family.

I think where TSC is coming from is providing a service and bringing in business with chicks. People taking a chance on a cheap chick and hopes it survives to provide an egg. If you are looking for a breeder like @CreveChris you are looking for more and will make the drive and pay the price. Like a fine wine or good meal but much more.

It sounds to me like TSC is trying or at least doing the math.

We have a feed store here... the second closest to me and he has one of those nice brooders that I believe opens from the top. I will never know because he is so filthy and appeals to a "certain crowd" of the IDC, play the odds, give me a chick for eggs crowd or people who just don't know better. Another feed store only brings in red sexlinks maybe 2x per year, also in a bin that opens from the top, on the ground level, tripable and viewable but clean and fun. The other 3 feed stores that I know of do even better, they will take orders and communicate with the hatcheries and customers about shipping etc. Think they are all run by women...?!! lol. The one breeder here that had the knowledge and space to carry a small variety of breeds figured out it was a 0 sum game even after diversifying.

Where am I going with this?? Not sure, but from the little I know, it ain't no easy thing.
@CreveChris I am going to PM you in hopes you share some of your adventure and knowledge with me. 🌴:frow

Yes, when they (rarely) have something I consider to be worth spending that much in gas and chick pricing to buy.

However, again, they rarely have anything I'm interested in And am willing to pay as much as they're asking (usually 15 a chick or more, all st run). Why would I spend what ends up being close to 45 bucks for a chick I can get for about 7 dollars when gas is included in the price and the cheaper option is almost certainly a pullet.

Tsc chicks are not as fragile as people keep claiming. I have never lost a tsc chick and have only ever lost 1 chick from any feed store I buy from.

I get that not everyone has a great tsc, but that most certainly does not mean that every tsc is a horrible death pit for chicks

Yes, when they (rarely) have something I consider to be worth spending that much in gas and chick pricing to buy.

However, again, they rarely have anything I'm interested in And am willing to pay as much as they're asking (usually 15 a chick or more, all st run). Why would I spend what ends up being close to 45 bucks for a chick I can get for about 7 dollars when gas is included ib the orice and the cheaper option is almost certainly a pullet.

Tsc chicks are not as fragile as people keep claiming. I have never lost a tsc chick and have only ever lost 1 chick from any feed store I buy from.

I get that not everyone has a great tsc, but that most certainly does not mean that every tsc is a horrible death pit for chicks
Sounds like they work for you. Great!

Back
Top Bottom