1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tractor Supply Company Chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by WannabeChickenOwner, Mar 23, 2011.

1. WannabeChickenOwner

WannabeChickenOwner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Is their a certain amount of chicks you have to get?
    Is it like at least 25 or something like that or can you get less than 25?

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Most stores have a minimum of 6...depends on your area.

3. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    If you're buying chicks they have in the store store then the minimum is six. If you're special ordering chicks then the minimum is 25

4. foxygoober

foxygoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Greenville
    I know the sign says a min of 6 when you buy in-store. . .the only time we got chicks from TSC, we only got 2. No one said anything.

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:they probably thought they were ducks

6. healingtreeharp

healingtreeharp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Bastrop
    In our store (Bastrop, TX), I have not seen a store. Nor have I seen chicks. They have the set up, but every time I go in there, they are chick-less [​IMG]
    We did however have great success in purchasing whatever amount we want at http://www.bastropfeed.com/ They have higher prices than TSC for supplies, but the animals are very reasonable.

7. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    My store here in upstate NY also sells them a min of 6 in store and 25 min to order. If you want to order chicks, not get them in store, I suggest finding someone else in your area who wants chicks and will do a split order with you. Then everyone wins:)

8. Buckeyes-R-Us

Buckeyes-R-Us Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    SW - Ohio
    Quote:wannabe, some states, counties, cities and townships have laws and/or ordinances that mandate a "minimum" numbers of poultry stores can sell to the general public.

my son works at a TSC here in Ohio and every year before "chick day" managemnt has a meeting and talks about obeying "state of Ohio" laws with respect to minimums that stores like TSC can sell. I believe this 6 chick and 6 duck minimum got started here in Ohio because pet shops would sell 1 or 2 ducks or chicks around Easter each spring and buyers got upset because they died (mostly from hypothermia). Anyway, most of the TSC stores in our area still go along with the 6 chick min when buying from the chicks in stock at the store. If you special order from TSC, they have a 25 chick minimum which is established by the hatchery....again I'm ONLY talking about TSC stores in SW Ohio so your state or region may be different.

One way around this delima is buy the 6, 12 or 25 chicks from TSC....our local TSC sells chicks for 50% less than the hatchery they get them from....and then sell what you dont want to friends, neighbors or on craigslist! In Ohio, there is no "minimum" requirement law for an individual who sells chicks or ducks the law only applies to retailers! Crazy ain't it?!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by